Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

KYB Struts/Eibach Springs Installed, Veritcal Play in Passenger Side Strut Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Yes
Old 11-04-2016, 06:15 PM

Cool.

I plan to drive this HHR a while. I love this little machine, its everything I wanted for a daily driver. I didn't plan on rebuilding the front suspension, only installing the Eibach springs and KYB struts/shocks. Turns out all the parts that I replaced were worn and loose, not causing problems yet but very close to it.

I also installed a TTR rear sway bar. I was sold after hearing all of the excellent reviews. Everyone is right, its worth every penny. Feels much more planted/sorted, body roll is gone. Its even better with the Eibachs installed.

I'm VERY pleased with Moog's Problem Solver products to say the least. I didn't want to do this again for a very long time, if ever again, so I spent a little more money and got the good stuff. The OEM parts the Moog's replaced look fragile and cheap... especially the lower control arms. Originals were cast aluminum, Moog's are steel, so the only downside is that they do add a some weight. I kept the aluminum arms, I may install new Moog Problem Solver bushings/joints at some point and put them back in for the weight savings. Every Moog part is redesigned by engineers for durability and serviceability. Improved bushing and joint designs. Greasable zerks. Worth every penny in my book, as GM seemed to do a poor job designing these suspension components. I'm guessing that these KYB strut mounts that I'm having issues with also fall into that category.

I also installed new Duro electroplated rotors with Wagner Quick Stop pads. Again, worth every penny.

Once this strut mount issue is taken care of, I have some nice 18x8 wheels with 235/40R-18 tires ready to mount. Gonna look real good. Promise to post some pics!
Old 11-04-2016, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

Hmm. You do realize that the steel control arms are a Cobalt part and not the recommended HHR replacement.
Been numerous threads on this site over the years in regards to this.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:13 PM

Yes sir, I read many, many comments about the subject before I finally bought and installed them. From what I understand, the difference is that HHR's have aluminum arms instead of steel, primarily for weight savings. The geometry is the same on both cars. The aluminum and the steel lower control arms will both fit Cobalt and HHR platforms with FE1 or FE3 suspensions. The FE5 SS's are unique and are not interchangeable. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still a HHR newbie. =)

The big difference I can see is that Moog's Problem Solver arms have an improved welded-steel arm design and heavy-duty bushings/joints as apposed to the cheap stamped-steel and cast aluminum replacements you can buy. The Moog's almost look like they were fabricated in a race shop, beautiful welds and beefy construction. The added weight of the heavy-duty arm is the only drawback. This HHR is a daily driver so I'm not too concerned about saving every pound possible, mainly the longevity and durability of the part.

But like I mentioned... I may still at some point install upgraded Moog Problem Solver bushings and joints into the OEM aluminum arms, and put them back in to lighten things back up in the front where the HHR needs it the most for the best handling. I am a gear-head, so I probably won't be able to help myself... I think the cast aluminum arms are fine for a daily driver, its mainly the poor OEM design bushings that really need to be upgraded. Replace them on factory aluminum arms only and you can save both money and weight. The lower arms are easy to swap out, which is a bonus.

I've put some good miles on the Moogs since installed, the ride quality hasn't changed. No issues whatsoever. Very happy with them, so we'll see.

Last edited by ITALGT; 11-04-2016 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity...
Old 11-04-2016, 08:06 PM
Technical Moderator

I find it hard to believe the aluminum arms weigh any less than the steel. And on a primarily family truck aluminum and a primarily family car steel, or that a lb or 2 might make any difference.

Please direct us to the research, I have never been clear as to the why.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Go with the Moog ball joints and the Moog K200792 problem solver bushing bearings, I'm glad I did!
Attached Thumbnails KYB Struts/Eibach Springs Installed, Veritcal Play in Passenger Side Strut Shaft-img_0241.jpg  
Old 11-04-2016, 08:14 PM
Administrator

I wonder why they show fitment for HHR 2006 and 2007
And the HHR SS 2008- 2010? Obviously incorrect!

Front Lower Control Arm and Ball Joint | Chevrolet HHR

And for HHR 2008- 2011 the cast aluminum arms?

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-rk620898
Old 11-05-2016, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I find it hard to believe the aluminum arms weigh any less than the steel. And on a primarily family truck aluminum and a primarily family car steel, or that a lb or 2 might make any difference.

Please direct us to the research, I have never been clear as to the why.
Moog PS steel arms are 10.4lbs each, factory steel arms are 8.6lbs each, and the aluminum arms are 4.1lbs each. Again, geometry is the same with all of them.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:29 AM
Technical Moderator

On a non-race car with an under powered motor and truck suspension, does 8 lb. make a difference?

Just does not make sense that ALL HHRs have aluminum and most or ALL Cobalts have steel.

The only thing I've ever heard is the HHR is a heavier car and needs a stronger LCA. Welded steel is a bit more flex-able.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if I was looking at buying another HHR and noticed that it had the stamped steel LCA's instead of the aluminum ones, I'd wonder "what else did the previous owner go cheap on". But hey, it's your vehicle.

Upgrading the bushings in the aluminum ones would be my choice, but as far as weight savings go, I would not even consider it to be a factor. It's the weight difference between the HHR and Cobalt that would be more my thought.

Quick Reply: KYB Struts/Eibach Springs Installed, Veritcal Play in Passenger Side Strut Shaft