Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Moog replacement lower control arm bushing

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:09 PM

Moog replacement lower control arm bushing

Replaced the original FE1 bushings with Moog "problem solvers". Whereas the GM part had thin webbing on each side of the circular bushing, the Moog part was a solid "hockey puck". I suspect it's made of a higher durometer rubber also. Result: a firmer, more responsive vehicle. Having also replaced the front pads and rotors, the steering doesn't rattle, the vehicle won't "hunt" on variable surfaces (especially washboards or grooved pavement), and the whole thing feels more stable and solid. Swaybar bushings and links were OK, so I get a like-new (or firmer) ride for under $30. Can't beat that. I recommend this part to all...K6698.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:17 AM
Platinum Member

Cool, Good info..
Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 AM

at 46k I'm starting to get a thunk on the front end... put new pads and rotors on a few weeks ago,, had the noise before so I know its not them. so i was thinking about bushings..Just have not had time to drive it on some ramps to get under it again to see if anything is funky.

steering is still tight, shocks are still good (fender push only one up and down) just a hateful thunk over potholes, bridge expansion joints, ect...
Old 04-23-2012, 07:30 PM

I'm not saying that there is no clunk whatsoever, the HHR design really transmits road noise and jolts more than a body on frame vehicle. That's the nature of the FWD unibody. But, the overall effect of the new bushings is a quieter, firmer ride, more responsive to steering inputs, and no instability on rough roads. I always thought my wife's Cobalt felt more "solid" than my Panel, even when new, but now even-steven (her Cobalt has 32k,mostly highway, my HHR has 75k,kamikaze commute miles). If I ever put new, better tires on it (still on originals), and upgrade the struts (still on originals), then it'll be better than new. IMO . It's hard to see the bushings in place; check for looseness with a pry-bar. Even after pulling them out, they may still look good to you, but try the pry-bar on the new ones (installed) and you'll see the difference in firmness.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:46 PM

WOI... I got the car two years ago with 14K on the clock. not sure if I remember the thunking sounds then... but just know its pronounced now...Just figure if I' m going to do bushings might as well do them before the tires, that way I can get it aligned.I was thinking of doing the front and rear control arm bushings and the sway bar link kit. but I need get under the car before I spend money...

I had an 86 Fiero SE with the 2.5 sun roof big wing, leather seats. what a fun car Its shame, GM produced it about 4 years ahead of its time...before the two seat market really took off...Of course the engine fires in the small 4cyl engines didn't help either...
Old 04-23-2012, 07:56 PM

marcsmith said:
I had an 86 Fiero SE with the 2.5 sun roof big wing
I just hauled my wife's 88 Fiero SE with the 2.5 (no) sun roof big wing... out of the garage (where it had resided on blocks since circa '99-'00). It was a fun car to drive, and the Ecotec engines we have now would've made it even better. But it is a nightmare to work on, and my longterm plans to make it a Northstar v-8 recipient have faded, so maybe a 2.2 or even a 2.0 Ecotec at some time....????
Old 04-23-2012, 08:08 PM

If I remember correctly the 3800 v6 of the time was almost a drop in engine... but still a dog compared to the modern day ecotec drop in the SS HHR engine. 260 HP... Id bet it would be more bang for the buck than compared to a northstar...

but would be a nighmare to install....