Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Rattle in Rear - Can't pinpoint it

Old 10-31-2014, 08:47 AM

Rattle in Rear - Can't pinpoint it

Unlike all the people who have had issues with the front suspension, I have something going on in the rear. I have jacked up the rear, and looked for obvious loose things, re-torqued lug nuts, etc. I have also rocked and bounced the car from the outside, and found nothing. The shocks have been replaced 20-30K miles ago with OEM replacements, and I am running a rear sway bar.

It happens at low (around 30 mph) speeds mostly and on small bumps, much like the front sway bar links did, but this is definitely in the rear. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'd kind of like to address it before winter if possible, Thanks.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:02 AM
Deceased

Well this is gonna sound dumb, but it happened to me and a few others here.

Check your jack and spare tire, they're really buried back there and tend to get ignored until you need them. Over time, the hold down nut can work loose, then you have a rattle that will drive you batty until you find it.

Also check your battery hold down, they've been known to work loose and rattle.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:12 PM
Technical Moderator

The other more costly thing is the rear trailing arm bushings, or whatever they are really called. If is that you would most likely have odd tire wear patterns.

Don't discount rear hubs.
Don't discount beer cans floating around in the panel voids. Could have been Friday, hehe.
Don't discount the rear license plate not having the rubber bumpers attached.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

Well....hmmmm. I have a similar rattle on my SS. Usually going at slow speeds, like down my 400' driveway(with a few bad spots in the asphalt) or, down our neighborhood private road. It's a 1/4 mile, also with some bad spots in the asphalt.
10-15 mph seems to trigger it. The noise all but disappears when I get on the smoother public roads.

I have looked at everything ! One thing I found is the rear bumper fascia hangs pretty loose from the factory. Grab it from the bottom edge and pull straight up. You'll see what I mean. My thought is that the fascia is bouncing on the inner bumper and/or body. I have even pushed some scrap foam strips up between the fascia and body work. Seemed to quiet it some. One day I'll take the fascia off and stick a bunch of foam pieces in there to try an quiet it some more.

This may or may not be the noise you hear, but is something to check out.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:42 PM
Deceased

Just thought of another "rear end rattle" that had a member pulling their hair out, the first owner of their HHR had dropped a burned out taillight bulb down into the left rear quarter panel.

It sounds dumb, but more than a few of us have had an attack of "stupid fingers", and there goes a bulb down into the quarter panel.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:15 AM
Platinum Member

And double-check the mounts for the rear shocks, even if they are reasonably new. I've seen bushings on them go, creating a noise that I could have sworn that was caused by a loose exhaust rattle.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:04 AM

I had a rear end rattle on my 08 LT panel . It only had 18,000 miles on it. turned out to be the shocks or the bolts . I replaced them both. The bolts had threads all the way to the heads. I replaced them with bolts that had a smooth shoulder where it went through the shock bushing.
I talked with a couple of members and theirs had the threads all the way to the heads ,too. All of the shock bolts I've ever seen have had the shoulders...john
Old 11-10-2014, 01:16 PM

First, I apologize for creating this and never coming back - yet. I know - bad etiquette...

Now that I'm here, I can say that tire wear is not an issue. I also believe that my bouncing and jouncing the car should have uncovered some of the other possibilities like loose shock bolts. I also verified that the battery is snug, BUT the spare tire or its cover appears to be a likely culprit and I just haven't had time to try things like taking it out.

I also realized that I was hauling "stuff" back there for a long time (months) until recently. Some of it was scrap metal that needed to go to the recycler and some of it was work paperwork, but there was usually a load on that floor, where now there is only an umbrella. So, I will check that out and report back sometime soon. Thanks for all the ideas, though.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:06 AM

A brief update:

After removing both covers and the spare tire, and verifying there is no movement in either the jack or the battery, the noise was still there on my subdivision tour. Sooo I'm going to have to do some more digging, starting with the shocks, I think.

Ironically, I also noticed an occasional front clunk that I believe is the LCA rear bushings. The right one looks guilty (torn)...
Old 11-17-2014, 11:14 AM

Well, I think I found it. The LR wheel bearing clunks when I twitch the hub. Now I know that's not very scientific, BUT it seems to match the location and approximate frequency (low-pitch) of the noise.

I've personally never had one that didn't make singing or grinding noises before failure, but that seems to be the case here. Maybe if I ignore it for 6 months, then I'll get more noise...

So, I'm going shopping for a couple rear hubs. Thanks again to all for the thoughts and ideas. This wasn't that tough to find, but was a somewhat unexpected (apparent) cause.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rattle in Rear - Can't pinpoint it