Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Suspension, brakes, and hubs question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 10:37 PM

Suspension, brakes, and hubs question.

So today I took my car to get it aligned and see why it was shaking when applying the brakes. It turns out I have a leaking shock and they told me they suspect the rotors are warped.

My car would shake when applying the brakes when I bought the car and then I changed the rotors and pads and it when away, but a few months later (today) and it's back to rattling and shaking, so I figure it's right to change the rotors again and adjust the rear brakes so they actually engage (because they didn't) and take the stress off of the front brakes, in hopes of this not happening again.
So let me know if you think that is the correct move?

And for my hub question, I hear a grinding noise when applying the brakes even when it is not rattling and based on what I have found on here it might be bad hubs which apparently HHRs are known for??? And if so, is there a better hub or upgraded hub to buy so that it is a better quality replacement? Or could it just be that I need new tires because my tread is getting low? Tire related?

And for the shocks, I can get a good deal on kyb shocks for my car but without springs and I want to maintain the fe3 performance that comes with the car. So what springs should I get that are just as good but keeps the same ride hight as stock springs? 120,000 miles and I don't think they have ever been changed.

Also, seeing how people like adding a rear sway bar I was thinking about getting one of those, unless it is unnessisary? I drive curving mountain roads everyday up and down hills, which probably explains the brake problem, but if the sway bar helps with windy roads I'll take it. What do you think?

I have a 2007 chevy hhr 2.4L LT with stock 17" wheels. And it is new to me this year.
Thank you in advance for any help.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

Struts are in the front. Shocks in the back.

Exactly which ones are you saying are leaking ? And which ones are you going to replace.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:02 AM

Front left strut is leaking, and since the car has 120,000 miles I was going to replace the front struts and rear shocks and springs (so everything all around), but the kyb deal I can get is only for the rear shocks and front struts without springs in them.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member

Then just reuse the stock springs in front. Leave the rear springs as is.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:37 AM

Ohh, ok. Another question then, I am going to order the front struts, and strut mount and bearing, and new strut boots, do I need anything else, like spring insulator plate or what do I need when replacing a strut?
Old 11-08-2014, 08:43 AM
Administrator

X2 just replace the struts and shocks, as for the grinding noise replace the hubs they could be contributing to the wiggle when you apply the brakes at that mileage. I have used AC Delco, TImken and still no difference in them.
I put KYB's on about 4 years ago about 100,000 miles ago, no leaks no bouncy ride!
You can reuse everything else for the struts.
The rear seat bar is a must have for those twisty winding roads, the brand is your choice!
Keep the rear drum brakes adjusted every oil change!
Old 11-08-2014, 08:55 AM

Ok, but I'll buy new boots since the old one was leaking. Any sway bar you know of that is not $200 more like $100?
Old 11-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Administrator

I bought a used TTR bar from a member who had sold his HHR! I works for me!
Other members like the Powell product and so on!
Old 11-08-2014, 09:07 AM

Thank you for all the help this far!
If I hear a creaking noise when slowly going over a bump, does that mean the shocks are causing the squeak because it's leaking or could it mean bad springs, or do I need new insulators? It's only coming from one area and not every tire, so I figure it's just old shocks?
Old 11-08-2014, 09:25 AM

so this is what I have going so far, I think this will make everything like new, and remove noise if there is any. tell me what your guys think???

It all totals $296.22 so i figure that's a good deal for everything to be like new right?

Quick Reply: Suspension, brakes, and hubs question.