Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Suspension Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 03:54 AM

Suspension Newbie

Hey all,

So I've been on the forum for a few hours, and I think I'm pretty set on getting an Eibach Pro-Plus kit with springs front and back and sway bars front and back. I don't really know where to go from here for shocks.

A little backround, my HHR is a 2011 1LT 2.4 with 110K miles. Everything on my vehicle is stock, including my 215/55R16 stock wheels and tire size.

I live in guam which is really mountainous and have terrible roads, i.e. potholes are everywhere - the road asphalt is made from crushed coral so it doesn't hold up that well and is extremely slick when wet and it will rain at least once a day.

There doesn't seem to have been any thought as to how the roads should slope in turns and for water runoff - about half the curves slope away from the curve instead of into it, and the roads will turn sharply to go straight uphill and not on a gradual grade.

My driving habits are not super aggressive, but I prefer to stay off the brakes and coast downhill so speed is definitely gained going down. I have recently ordered upgraded front rotors and ceramic pads as well as ceramic shoes (well maybe not a great upgrade, but the Powerstop Z26 rotors will look good at least).

Any suggestions on a firmer and upgraded shock would be appreciated, all comments and personal preferences are welcome. Also, after 110K, are there any other suspension components I should be looking at closely for normal or accelerated wear.

Thanks for all the input on these questions and for all the information you guys contribute regularly.

Last edited by RJ_RS_SS_350; 03-26-2017 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Spaced for easier reading
Old 03-26-2017, 05:54 AM

Thoroughly Confused

So now I'm really confused. I've been in the forums and I feel like I'm coming up with way more questions than answers. So I do want to lower the car for a more aggressive look as well as to lower body roll for better cornering. It seems the concensus is that the fe5 suspension would suffice for my purposes. If I were to get the Eibach spring and sway bar set, would I be able to bolt on the ACDelco fe5 struts and rear shocks from rock auto for the SS directly? Again, any help or your experiences are greatly appreciated.

SuKi
Old 03-26-2017, 08:16 AM

I'm sure you read the thread before yours
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brak...pro-kit-57814/

I just did my whole suspension over, a 2LT with FE3 suspension. You probably have FE1 which is soft ride
With your bumpy driving conditions, I don't think I would be going with FE5. Number one is that lower springs will stiffen up your ride to begin with, FE5 will make it even harsher.
Bilstein B6 makes the only HD rear shock that I know of. I would stick with FE1 or FE3 front struts. I went oem because the quick strut already come with springs, whick you would need to remove to put in the eibachs. Plus I think the GM OEM brand would prob hold up better.

Def go for new end links. Lower control arm bushings.

Don't forget that a lot of SS components aren't compatible with non SS models.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site!
I've had KYB struts and shocks with Canuck Motorsports lowering springs
The ride isn't harsh at all, a little lower than the FE5 swap over.
Skyline26 has the OEM FE5 SS struts and shocks and springs on his and it sits about an inch higher then mine.
I've had the set up on mine since 2012, alotta miles on all sorts of roads , no problems!
Someone once referred to it as the FE4 setup, as it's between the FE3 and FE5 setup.

And yes lower control arm rear bushings are a known problem
Old 03-27-2017, 06:10 PM

For struts, I would recommend the KYB's. As some have said, they seem a bit more stiff than FE3, not quite as stiff as the FE5.

If your roads are rough, I would honestly stay away from anything too low. Lowering springs tend to compromise the ride quality(though not all do).

As far as sway bars go, I wouldn't bother swapping the front sway bar. It's a lot of work for not a lot of gain, especially if it's just a street car that will see no track.

Trex, what SS parts aren't compatible with non SS models? As someone that had just about everything mechanical from an SS, short of the drivetrain, swapped into his LT, I can tell you, damn near everything from an SS will fit a non SS.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:22 AM

So I am going with the KYB struts up front. I want to put Bilstein B6's in the rear, but it seems all vendors are out right now and no one can say how long it will be. I'll also be geting the front suspension kit from MOOG on Rock Auto. And here in a few months new tires. Hopefully my ride will not be too harsh but a lot more stable and a lot less bouncy. Thanks for the input guys.

SuKi
Old 03-28-2017, 07:51 AM
Administrator

I'd go KYB's out back , I don't mix shocks brands.
What Moog kit are y'all getting for the front suspension?

For the rear swaybar, I'd go TTR

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-...ovement-37436/
Old 03-28-2017, 06:25 PM
Premium Member

dont mix and match.

Either do ALL kyb or ALL fe3 . The fe5 setup is sometimes a bit harsh, so stay away if you have bad bumpy roads.

In my opinion id go with the fe3 and the eibachs . Both are easy to get
Old 03-28-2017, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Easy? Just a few mouse clicks for an order!
Old 03-28-2017, 08:57 PM

OB,

Here's the link to the front end kit, https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...442783&jsn=657. Is there much besides this kit, eibach springs and sway bars, KYB shocks and struts I'll need for a new suspension?

Quick Reply: Suspension Newbie