Canadian North East Quebec, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, and Nova Scotia

-26° Celcius

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 06:41 AM

-26° Celcius

Well seems like the HHR won't start at -26°C (-15°F). I don't think it's the battery as I tried to boost it with another car but still did not start.

So I guess the computer won't let the engine start because it is too cold?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Founding Member

It should start. There is a problem with the HHR.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:50 AM
geg

My Swift starts at - 30С. Parking on the street. Heating device does not have. But I do not know, a common occurrence or am I lucky. A lot of guys complain about the cold.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...?t=6731&page=2
Old 01-24-2011, 10:51 AM

I'm having the same problem for two winters now, battery tests good and 100 amp boost doesn't start it. Dealer has replaced the battery and told me I leave the lights on (they are automatic I don't touch them). What I do get is lots of clicking and lights flashing but no cranking. A web search indicates lots of people have the problem but nobody has a solution, warming the car eliminates the problem. Since nobody wants to troubleshoot in below zero temperatures we may never figure it out. A common thread seems to be attempting a remote start but it may be a coincidence since the problem only occurs when it is too cold to go out and start it and doesn't happen every time its really cold.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:27 AM
geg

I also have no explanation. But one thing ... I often have an indication of a computer error (yellow icon on the dashboard). It happens from what HHR - a car not designed for operation in Russia. Temperature extremes, poor roads, dirt. All this will incapacitate the various sensors. Oxidized contacts.
And here. At a time when the error is present - start with remote control is not possible. Car computer does not see the signal. But by the key start is available. Error disappears - Remote start is available again. I think the computer sees the cold as extreme conditions and prevents the remote start. It is also possible in cold weather or a sensor goes to sleep (freezes, stops functioning) and this fact is also perceived as a mistake.
In the old days on the Russian machine makes a makeshift modernization. Excised electronic limiter temperature limit and in its place solder some radio part. Transistor or resistor or something else - I'm not an expert.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:12 PM

Turns out my problem was the battery, it tested fine with a full 12 volts on my battery charger. I replaced it with a new NAPA battery just so I could say for certain that wasn't the problem... and it started right up. When I took the 1 year old Delco battery in for my core refund, it tested fine except under load. It seems you can have 12 volts with almost no amps, -11 just required more amps than the battery could muster, even the 100 amp boost of the charger wasn't enough. I did notice more impressive sparking when I hooked up the ground of the new battery and the fuel pump kicked in and interior lights came on. Thinking about it right now... why did the fuel pump come on when the key was in my pocket, is that normal?

The more I think about it I wonder if I've found the problem or not. 1.)It started fine yesterday and it was just as cold. 2.) The dealer thought they had fixed it last year with a new battery. I wonder if something is damaging the battery? Is the fuel pump coming on when I connected the new battery a clue? Is the Delco battery just not suited to the cold? People who switch to Optima or other brand of quality battery don't seem to complain about cold remote start issues, do they have them?

Last edited by imredbeard; 01-24-2011 at 03:26 PM. Reason: more thoughts
Old 01-24-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by imredbeard
People who switch to Optima or other brand of quality battery don't seem to complain about cold remote start issues, do they have them?
People with Optimas have ALL KINDS of issues, and they are not just realated to cold starts either. Go on just about any "performance car" forum and look around. I think my Optima was the biggest waste of money. I guess you could say that they have a great marketing dept
Old 01-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Founding Member

An HHR requires 600 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) to be maintained for 30 seconds, at 0°F (-18°C).
Old 01-24-2011, 05:00 PM

i have an Optima battery. its been in there for three years now with no problems.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by imredbeard
What I do get is lots of clicking and lights flashing but no cranking. A web search indicates lots of people have the problem but nobody has a solution, warming the car eliminates the problem. Since nobody wants to troubleshoot in below zero temperatures we may never figure it out. A common thread seems to be attempting a remote start but it may be a coincidence since the problem only occurs when it is too cold to go out and start it and doesn't happen every time its really cold.
This is exactly my problem, lights flashing in the dash... I just tried to start it again with a powerpack and it still won't start. I will plug the block heater for the whole night see if it solves the problem tomorrow morning. I did not test the battery yet but I am certain it is good.