Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Thoughts on installing new fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 02:25 PM

Thoughts on installing new fuel pump

07 2.4L 5-speed 145,000 mi

I just finished installing a new fuel pump. I posted a couple of questions on the the forum so first I want to say thanks for all the replys they did help.

Secondly not a really hard job but I did run into several snags.

1. The small quick disconnects are a pain. There was no way I could get them off by squeezing with my fingers. I had to use needle nose pliers and still could not get the one that goes from the vent system to the metal tube that runs up to the filler neck. I had to destroy it to get it off. I used a simple piece of fuel line and some clamps to repair it.

2. I got the fuel tank out around the exhaust, but no way could I get it back in. I fought with it for an hour. I had to disconnect the exhaust at the exhaust pipe and the manifold. Ball park right under the center console under the car of course. Once I did that I was able to swing the exhaust out of the way and the tank went right up.

3. Pump. I went with a Spectra Premium pump, mainly for cost. $152 on Amazon 2 day delivery. The problem is it had 4 connectors not 3 like the original. It had the large vent line and 2 next to it where as the original only had one next to it. I looked at the pump and the second one was blocked.

To be safe I called SP and they were of no help at all. I had checked 4 or 5 websites and they all said right pump. When I talked to this guy (heavy french accent) he said go to dealer get part number by VIN and plug it into SP's website and it will give you the right part. I went to gmpartsdirect.com plugged in the VIN got the part number, went back to SP and plugged in the part number, came back no such part. It had a place for the VIN, I plugged it in and it gave me the part I already had. So no help at all.

Installed pump anyway and I'm glad to say it worked fine.

Take aways, not a difficult job if the connectors cooperate.

Also the pump retaining ring, it popped right off with a hammer and a punch. But going back on you have to pound it till the the bump on the ring is in the center of the retaining clips on the tank and I mean you have to pound it. If you dont get it back in right that ring will just pop right off. The pump is spring loaded so I just tapped the tank and that ring popped off and the pump sprung up out of the tank. It would have been a hugh bummer If I had installed the tank and this happend.

If I had to do it again I would disconnect the exhaust up front and just get it out of the way instead of fighting with it. There is only 2 bolts and even though they were on the exhaust they came off pretty easily.

Hopes this helps anyone whose is going to tackle this job.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the update, glad to see it's in and workin! Enjoy the ride!