Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

40 mph RPM bounce

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 12:22 PM

2006 2.4 auto.... has VVT, and has this problem. Probably somehow related with the jumpy idle issues, I think it all has to do with the throttle position sensor, as it feels like almost the same thing as the jumpy idle but at speed, albeit a certain speed, just my speculation. The issues seem to have no effect on performance or power, as one can easily give more gas during the bounciness and the problem magically lifts away..... Maybe the HHR is saying hey.... I dont want to go 40.... I want to go faster... FASTER... GOOOOOOO. Like an eager puppy getting frustrated with such slow speeds or with just sitting at a stoplight XD
Old 07-23-2016, 10:45 PM
Technical Moderator

Kind of what I said in post #2.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:14 PM

Well someone on a different thread suggested getting their transmission fluid pumped out and filled with filter changed helped theirs. I think it helped mine a bit but it didn't cure the problem completely. I don't think my cars transmission fluid had ever been changed and I had it done at 120k miles. It seems to shift faster now not quite as laggy if I need to get on the throttle on the highway. By the way I had it done at a dealership and it was a whopping $234 out the door for the complete transmission flush (pumped out) and new filter dropped drain pan they said. It would've been $149 just for a flush and fill.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:16 PM
JCC

40 MPH bounce

Well I see the post didn't show my writings from yesterday on this but I hope we can all keep working on this and find the cure.

I give credit to Old Blue as he did every thing I could think of and even cleaned all the grounds. Note: these cars have a built in grounding problems, per some auto electric guys I talked to. OldBlue thinks he got it now with a reflash from a dealer... sooo I tried it and it DID NOT WORK for me! So on we go...

I did the transmission drain and filter also but nothing changed.

My latest ideal... I want to replace the Negative battery cable with a heaver one, say 1-0 welding cable... maybe the one from the engine block to the frame also. What I got to lose!

CRAZY you say my fellow members, Humbug I say, I got a story for you... guy I know that owns a Transmission shop has a Dodge truck with somewhat a same problem. Did every thing, rebuilt the trans., replace the tork converter, replace the TCM... tried every thing... NOTHING! Still doing the same thing. He was reading a trade magazine one day and saw a write up on this problem... it said to remove the cable from the Alternator and clean both ends good and this was the fix. He did not believe it but had nothing to lose so did it... AND... YES SIR... worked like a new one and is to this day (2 years later or more)!

The only thing I learned in electric school was... when something odd ball is happening with an electric system... look first at the grounds! This ride is known for having ground problems so I'm going there....

OK, your turn to guest.... !

Regards, JC
Old 09-02-2016, 07:14 AM

Hey man, I have had this issue since day one. I think its been narrowed down to the electronic throttle body and a fluke in the signal from the peddle, but it hasn't seemed to effect anything over the years. Probably the same sort of problem causing intermittent RPM bounce at idle. More annoying than anything.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:57 PM
JCC

40 RPM bounce

Thanks for the input aradmahogany and this was the first thing I was thinking about... a problem in or between the gas petal and throttle body. BUT you are the first one that stated their problem was from (started) the first 10 miles they own it??? In other words from the factory, it was like this.

So I ask you the simple question, of how many times did you take it back to the dealer for a fix... AND how many times did you contact the factory about it being a lemon?

Again I state that in my research I have not found a factory bulletin, Recall, fix, or any thing from GM that says it is a problem... has it been covered up I ask???

How can a few get it corrected and not all?? Some have said transmission work fix their, some say engine work fixed their and some say electric/ computer work fixed their. I don't think they all are right BUT I wasn't there to over see the job?????? SO!

I would like to see what year models are having this problem... and with what transmission. I am thinking only automatic transmission have this problem BUT ?????
Don't know for sure.

We need to get the readings for the gas petal and the throttle body so this can be checked to see if it's the problem area. NOTE: I need the info for a 2008 with 2.2, with an automatic trans. In this model the MAP, TPS and the rest of the system parts are inside the TB, so testing maybe harder than the earlier models, where they are outside the TB, by themselves.

Can any one supply this info. and/or does anyone have any experiences with this test of the TB and gas petal system? I would think a check for a drop in the TPS or the gas Petal could tell of a problem... But, it giving problems from day one sounds like a de-fect in design and if so may be harder to find

The question too is why it want show a code????

So calling all members... your help or input please. There has to be a fix someway.

And YES I am thankful that it will still run with this problem... and most people would not even notice it much, if at all. But it's not right and us gals and guys want things right so FATHER, a little help please!

Regards, JC
Old 09-02-2016, 04:06 PM
JCC

If it was only that easy....

I found this on a parts site regarding the gas pedal sensor being bad AND showing a code...

My car was showing a code saying engine power reduced. My oldest son ran his scanner on my car and it showed the accelerator pedal sensor was bad. He went online and found this part very quickly

This was posted on the site for the same year, an model, an eng./ transmission as I have... IF IT WAS ONLY THIS EASY A FIX!

YES... show a code, run a scanner, get a part, put it on... fix is made ... on you go! Happy Trails.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:59 PM
Technical Moderator

Is your son an employee of Advance Auto Parts?

That sounds like what they do; put words in the mouth of a tool. The tool does not say anything, the tool shows you what system to look at. In this case the APPS circuit, it did not "say the part is bad".

A broken clock is correct twice a day.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:34 PM
Administrator

JCC are you saying (technically typing ) that you have replaced the throttle pedal sensor and you problem is resolved??
Old 09-03-2016, 03:08 PM
JCC

I wish it was so!

Oldblue ask if, "are you saying (technically typing ) that you have replaced the throttle pedal sensor and you problem is resolved?"

Sad to say NO I have not found a fixed. I found the story on Rock Auto sites under "throttle pedal sensor... replies from the buyers that got one"
Again I'm sorry to say I'm still bouncing along.

I was thinking that Don had an ALL DATA site and if he could give me/us the readings/ test for the Throttle Body AND the throttle pedal sensor, to see if I/we could find a problem in this system (2008, 2.2. auto.). I am going on youtube to see if I can find a test for it also.

Man... where are Eric, So. Main Auto or the guy down in Houston when you need them?

Signed.... Still looking

Quick Reply: 40 mph RPM bounce