Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

Front Hub replacement covered under PT warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 01:41 PM

Front Hub replacement covered under PT warranty?

Hello All!

Newbie and found a ton of useful info here already, but have a problem with a noise in the front end of my 09 High Roof. This started about 4 or 5 thousand miles ago and was a low kind of grinding that you could more feel in the floor than hear, and has now turned into an almost clicking sound like playing cards in your bikes spokes. Its not loud, but obviously something is going wrong.

I have viewed most of the posts with regard to replacing the front hub, and I have a Timken in the garage now that I got at Auto Zone for a buck seventy five. Took it all apart and then came in and looked for some video tips and here for pointers, then came on some guys who said this is warranty, covered under the power train. So I looked on Chevy's site and this is what that says.

"Drive Systems
Drive system coverage includes all internally lubricated parts, final drive housings, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, propeller shafts and universal joints. All mounts, supports, seals, and gaskets, as well as any electrical components internal to the drive axle. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the drive axle (e.g., front differential actuator). Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are all wheel bearings, drive wheel front and rear hub bearings, locking hubs, drive system cooling, lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring, and electrical connectors related to drive systems, as well as any drive system control module and/or module programming."

Looks to me like the hubs are excluded. Should I take it in to a dealer and have them diagnose this? Or does anyone know if that's a waste of time and I should just go ahead and do the job myself?

Thanks!

Max
Old 06-25-2013, 04:13 PM
Technical Moderator

You could pick up a telephone and call the local service department. But, probably not covered. Depends on how much you value 10 minutes of phone time.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:34 PM

Up to 09 its under the 5yr powertrain warranty. 2010 and later its its only on the 3yr.
So you may be good depending on mileage and In-service date.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:56 PM

Covered!

Well I did in fact call and was told it was covered under power train. It is an 09 and has 63K on it. Got it back in just about an hours and 15 minutes and no charge.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:57 PM

BTW, how do you add a picture to your profile?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2013, 10:43 PM
Technical Moderator

So, 10 minutes on hold equals about $450. Good value!
Old 08-04-2013, 07:23 PM

I bought a 2011 LT1 with 31000 miles last fall. Last Thursday I left my daughter take it on a day trip to Conn. (about 250 miles each way). When she came back, she said it was making a noise. It now has 43000 miles. I couldn't tell what it was, so I took it to a local GM dealer. They said left front wheel bearing. I said "is it covered under the power train warranty?" They said not any longer. They stopped covering it several years ago. Replacement will cost about $450. Does this say that they (GM) have been having a lot of trouble with them? It would seem that if they were quite reliable they would continue to cover them. This is my first disappointment with this car.

Last edited by millerhw; 08-05-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:22 PM

Smile Great News!!

I took my car in today to get the wheel bearing replace, and expecting to pay about $450. BUT when they were done, I only had to pay a $100 deductible!! There was a note on the receipt saying that even though the car was out of warranty, in the interest of good will and customer satisfaction, the dealer and GM will cover the repair with a $100 deductible. I a very happy!!!
Old 08-06-2013, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by millerhw
I bought a 2011 LT1 with 31000 miles last fall. Last Thursday I left my daughter take it on a day trip to Conn. (about 250 miles each way). When she came back, she said it was making a noise. It now has 43000 miles. I couldn't tell what it was, so I took it to a local GM dealer. They said left front wheel bearing. I said "is it covered under the power train warranty?" They said not any longer. They stopped covering it several years ago. Replacement will cost about $450. Does this say that they (GM) have been having a lot of trouble with them? It would seem that if they were quite reliable they would continue to cover them. This is my first disappointment with this car.
I'm really sorry to hear about your wheel bearing issue. I would like to offer assistance and see what options you may have available to get this fixed. Could you please private message me your name, address, vehicle identification number, and current mileage?

Thank you,

Jessica L.
Chevrolet Customer Care