Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

Has anyone replaced a shift solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 10:48 AM

Has anyone replaced a shift solenoid?

Has anyone every replaced a shift solenoid on an auto transmission? if so, how much did it cost if you brought it somewhere? How hard was it to replace if you did it yourself? What were the results when replaced, did it remedy the problem/etc?
Old 03-02-2017, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Some parts prices, unless your trained in automatic transmission repair, this could be an expensive repair.

4T40E 4T45E TRANSMISSION PARTS & REBUILD KITS
Old 03-02-2017, 02:51 PM
Technical Moderator

Somewhere there is a post bout how to get to the solenoids without dropping the entire cradle assembly.

They are under the left side cover, I guess if you were real inventive you could get to them through the wheel well after you remove the driver side axle, then maybe loosen the trans mounts and jiggle thing just right.

Mitchell says to charge 7 hours labor to R&R the valve body.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:23 AM

Thanks Fellas, I was searching and couldn't really find anyone who did it or gave the results after completed. I wish i could find a way to mate the 6 speed auto like in all the other GM products with these engines, the 4 speed is terrible, it needs at least another forward gear or 2 and would get such better mileage if it did.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Yeah, I looked into a swap from a 6 spd Buick into the HHR, a lot of computer work, axles and mounts , cheaper to just by the Buick , but that's not as cool as an HHR!
Old 06-21-2019, 07:48 PM

here
Old 06-21-2019, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Somewhere there is a post bout how to get to the solenoids without dropping the entire cradle assembly.

They are under the left side cover, I guess if you were real inventive you could get to them through the wheel well after you remove the driver side axle, then maybe loosen the trans mounts and jiggle thing just right.

Here is a link to the above quote on the solenoids without dropping the entire cradle assembly.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Nope, here....

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/driv...olenoid-61313/
Old 06-06-2021, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew

I've replaced them myself and if I ever had to do it again would drag it across the scales at a scrap yard. It didn't fix the problem either it created more problems.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:05 AM

This was a pain but id do it again cause the labor would cost a bunch 50.00 for 2 solenoids 7 hours or better to do the job. i think the trouble i had was the steering shaft would not drop there for causing the sub frame to stick and not drop. I had a tough time getting the trans cover off and back on. The frame finally dropped after i bumped the front bumper by accident. then things got easier. Just take a lot of pictures and id put some oil/ liquid wrench on the steering shaft before you start the process mine process is on this forum. Good luck

Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced a shift solenoid?