Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 08:18 PM

plugs

how do i get to spark plugs can some one help me please.i know my car has only 4.fire stone wants 270.00 to do the job,thats bs.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:49 PM
Banned

Well, a good place to start, would be your local auto parts place. They will ask you for the details about your vehicle, and tell you which spark plugs you'll need.

My search on AutoZone.com for a general search for Spark Plugs for a 2008 2.2L 4Cyl returned a lot of results, though I bet you'll find the below are a suitable replacement.

Bosch Iridium Spark Plugs 2008 2.2L 4cyl

And to the forum too!
Old 10-28-2014, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Actually, I don't believe he is asking WHERE to buy plugs.....he's asking how to remove/replace them.

I checked in your profile and according to that you have a 2007 2.2 ltr. (just a note....always helps if you provide vehicle details when asking a question regarding repairs).

Basically and generally removal of the air cleaner is necessary. Use the Search feature at the top middle of the screen to find a thread regarding "Changing the air Filter". That will be the starter.

I believe the 2007 has coil packs for each plug. IIRC one bolt holds the coil packs on. Your car has NO plug wires to speak of. Each plug is attached to its own coil with a small plug wire holding the plug. Remove the coil pack in entirety from each plug. If the main wiring is a little sloppy to the coil packs, keep them in sequence, so you reinstall in the correct order.

Removing the plugs is elementary. Although it might be a little difficult with "stuck" plugs. Be careful.

And regardless of what SOME members will suggest, stay with the AC/Delco iridium plugs (You can find the correct plug part numbers in a "sticky" regarding hard to find parts...on this forum). many members have suffered unwanted consequences by using other than original equipment plugs.

The AC/Delco Iridium plugs are pregapped.....so do not attempt to regap them or the very small iridium point will break and you will be spending another $5-6.00/each.

Install them and reverse the order for reinstallation.

Particular attention must be used in the air cleaner removal to prevent damage to wiring and connectors. Make sure you replace EVERYTHING EXACTLY AS ORIGINAL....including the connectors.

Good Luck....other will probably also provide additional info.

By the way, if Firestone is charging $270 for just the plug install, no filters, etc., you're correct it is BS and highway robbery.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:11 PM

In order to get to the spark plugs on an HHR you must first remove the air cleaner box. Its that big black plastic thing on top of the engine.

You must be careful not to tear the wires off the MAF {mass air flow} sensor attached to the underside of the air cleaner box. Do not forget to hook the wires back up to the MAF or your car won't run right.

Here is a link to a vid on how to remove the air cleaner box

Its probably a good idea to replace the air cleaner while your at it.
The dude in this video just sorta wrenches the air box back. On my HHR the gray 'wooly worm' {air intake hose} was very brittle so it came undone, I had to use some Elmer's glue to put it back together and I was pretty darn careful with it.

I managed to fix mine because they are quite expensive to replace. I thought about making a new one out of plastic dryer vent hose but once the Elmer's dried I decided it was good as new.

I can not find a video on how to change the plugs on an HHR engine.

Its simple enough once you have the air cleaner box out of the way, and you are welcome to look at youtube vid's on how to change the plugs on Cobalt's if you like.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

x2 what Snoopy said about the brand of plugs - stick with the AC Delcos.

Here is a quick list of the part numbers for the plugs, as well as a few other items you may be considering to replace in the next while:

Spark plugs:
2.2L/2.4L - AC Delco part number 41-103 (iridium)

Oil Filter - AC Delco - PF457G

Air Filter (2.2L/2.4L) - AC Delco - A3054C

Cabin filter
- AC Delco P/N - CF125
- GM P/N - 52493319
- Duralast P/N - CAF1797DL
- CARQUEST P/N - 89882

You can find part numbers for numerous other items at https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/comm...-part-i-48833/
Old 10-29-2014, 12:07 PM
Administrator

My 2007 2.2 has one 10 mm bolt holding each of the four coils to the vavle cover under the air filter box, the plugs are 5/8's so ensure you have the correct size socket a 6 inch extension and a 3/8's ratchet
And yes AC Delco 41-103 plugs!