Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

Possible Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 03:19 PM

Unhappy Possible Transmission Failure

So, last night I was driving my HHR, and the RPMs started getting really high between shifts (3500-4500 rpms) and I thought to myself, "Now, what the hell?" I thought it was maybe just in "I" gear, but then I looked and it wasn't. I pulled over and turned the car off, and let it sit for a few minutes to see if that would clear anything up. It didn't. When I continued driving, it kept doing the same thing with high RPMs before shifting. After a few minutes, the Check Engine Light came on and stayed on the rest of the way. Also, the cruise control was not working (not sure if that's because of the CEL?). Anyway, when I got home, I parked it and let it sit overnight. This morning when I drove it, Check Engine Light was still there and same shifting problems. On the freeway at 55-65mph, excessively high RPMs - 5000+. Not sure what to think of this. All this appeared overnight with no symptoms such as slipping, hard shifts, etc. In fact, I personally thought the HHR automatic transmission always seemed to feel very confident, precise, smooth shifting, not sure what happened now. I've never had a transmission flush performed as per the owner's manual, and because of horror stories I've read about having a transmission flush performed on a high mileage vehicle that's never had it done before. Vehicle is a 2007 Chevy HHR, 2.4L engine, automatic transmission, 168,000 miles, ie: way out of warranty. Going to go to the auto parts store to get the code read later today. Seems hard to believe it would be the transmission given all symptoms appeared overnight, but I'm not really sure? Not sure what to think seeing as how its accompanied by a CEL. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tyler
Old 03-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Deceased

I have some guesses at to what might be going on, but without the codes that are purely guesses. When you get the code/codes post 'em up Tyler and maybe we'll be able to figure out what's up.

You are right about being reticent to do a transmission service at this point, once they go so far on the original fill without service, its best to let sleeping dogs lie. All too often I've seen one come into a shop working fine, but being hugely past its "service by" mileage, needing rebuilt after having a fluid change and filter. The old fluid is so filled with particles of the clutch packs that changing it out causes the transmission to slip like mad, the particles were acting like the friction material in the clutch packs.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Premium Member

What is the service by date ?
Old 03-03-2012, 04:04 PM

Just got back from O'reilly. Codes pulled were P0757 - Shift Solenoid B Stuck On, P0700 - Transmission Control System (MIL Request). O'reilly guy said that's not good, he said you never want to see those codes, hope you have lots of time and money. Not what I was hoping to hear....
Old 03-03-2012, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by SS fan
What is the service by date ?
I think 843de is referring to other makes/models. In the HHR owner's manual, it states that the transmission fluid/filter should not need to be changed, if I recall correctly.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Rest In Peace

Owners manual says change at 50,000, 100,000 and 150,000 miles. WITH a "footnote (h)".

Regular driving does not need changing at all.

Heavy city traffic,higher than 90 degrees, hilly or mountainous terrain. When doing frequent trailer towing, used such as taxi, delivery, police use.

Then it says, "If the vehicle is not used under any of these conditions, the fluid and filter do not require changing.

Read your Owners Manual, I left some words out to save typing.

As said, not sure about Todays transmissions, but years ago, if you changed fluid in a high mileage auto trans you were getting a junkyard one or a rebuild real Quick.

Last edited by American & Proud; 03-03-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:05 PM

Well, I just did a forum search for "P0757 code"... nothing came up except for my thread and ChevyMgr's list of codes. So I guess this is not something too many people have run into....
Old 03-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by goetylsd
Well, I just did a forum search for "P0757 code"... nothing came up except for my thread and ChevyMgr's list of codes. So I guess this is not something too many people have run into....
Do a GOOGLE Search for it.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=P0757+code

Old 03-03-2012, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by American & Proud
Do a GOOGLE Search for it.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=P0757+code

Gee, thanks! LMAO! That's funny! Believe it or not, I did Google search it but I only found information pertaining to full-size GM trucks, LS1 Corvettes, etc, but not much for the HHR. Not sure if the info is still relevant for the HHR or not... Different vehicles, different transmissions
Old 03-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

Take it to your local,reputable transmission shop and get an estimate. Not sure if that code refers to an internal solenoid or a TCM problem,or both.

Off subject a little. My 1998 Dodge pickup had a stuck shift solenoid at 140K miles. No advance warning. Neighborhood transmission shop dropped the pan and replaced two solenoids for $130 the next day. Been fine for the last 2 years. I hope yours will be that simple to fix.

Quick Reply: Possible Transmission Failure