Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

Possible Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

You keep using the term "Flush", I would only remove tranny pan, let drain, inspect for particles, metal & otherwise,
change filter. Re-install pan & re-fill to specs.

Impala's may look nice to ya, but gas mileage will be another story, as our gas prices continue to increase.

Good Luck !!!
Old 03-03-2012, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the advice sleeper, I will get that done. I still think it's ridiculous there's no dipstick. I can't get over that, the only reason there wouldn't be one is so you'd be forced to take it to the dealer and spend $150-$200. Very true about gas mileage. The good MPGs was one of the things that drew me to the HHR. I liked that it was bigger than a Cobalt, but almost the same gas mileage, with much more utility. I still like the HHR, I'll have to wait and see what happens with mine. I haven't given up hope yet, I just need to weigh my options...
Old 03-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

It is crummy to not have a dip stick. Weather it was a bean-counters' idea, or just to have many return to the dealer for a check. Probably the latter..

I hope things work out for ya, & not cost much..
Old 03-04-2012, 09:02 AM

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Trans fluid check level.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by sleeper
It is crummy to not have a dip stick. Weather it was a bean-counters' idea, or just to have many return to the dealer for a check. Probably the latter..

I hope things work out for ya, & not cost much..

Well, you do know that the HHR is a Cobalt, right? (in reference to an earlier post)

Why would you NEED a dipstick, if you look at the ground under your car? Trans fluid does not evaporate, it drips out. The only reason to moan about not having one is if you are an "old goat" (like me) that likes to be SURE, you know: SaranWrap over Latex. The more irritating thing to me is no drain plug! There is an easy to get to filler hole at least.

I don't know if it's still true, but you were not even able to check the engine oil level in a Rolls-Royce engine, and changing it was a challenge.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by Old Lar

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Trans fluid check level.
Be sure to read the instructions. I.E. engine running, 114F etc.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:13 PM

Donb
Are the instructions in the owners manual? Also
What exactly brand and type does everyone recommend?
Old 03-05-2012, 11:24 AM

I had a tranny solenoid fail on my 94 Suburban. Our local tranny shop read the code and replaced the solenoid for about $90 (this was about 10 yrs ago). After replacing the solenoid, the tranny was fine for years.

A bad solenoid is actually one of the least costly things that can fail in an electronic transmission.

I would minimize any driving because the failed solenoid may cause incomplete shifting (due to low pressure) which could quickly wear out bands and clutches.

Steve
Old 03-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by bigjacksauto
Donb
Are the instructions in the owners manual? Also
What exactly brand and type does everyone recommend?
Type is in the Owner's, procedure is in the Shop. Please, never ask for a brand recommendation on the internet!!!!! Every one has one, you know what I mean?

Basically the check procedure is; after you have driven it for a few minutes, get the car up in the air level, then insure 114F trans fluid temp, engine running Trans in park, pull that plug/bolt on the side. Then on the top unscrew the fill hole and pour some fluid in until you get a drip from the plug, let it run until drip stops. replace all plugs.

The "flush machine" theoretically does all of that in one fell swoop.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:52 PM

Well, I took it to the transmission shop on Monday, they were busy and said to come back Wednesday and they'd drive it. When I went there Wednesday, the guy drove it for about 10 minutes and said he thought the transmission was probably internally wore out. I asked him if he thought it might just be the solenoid. He said the solenoids don't normally go out and that the "Shift Solenoid B Stuck Open" was probably due to something jammed, debris in the pan, etc. I took my car home and decided to think about it awhile. They seemed "too eager" to say the transmission needed to be overhauled based on their little test drive.

I decided to take it to the dealer for a second opinion. You can never go wrong getting a second opinion. The guy drove it and I rode with him, he had his Tech 2 plugged in and was reading it. He thought it might be the valve body (I believe that's what it's called IIRC), but said he really couldn't tell. He said the transmission did not seem that bad and they might not necessarily need to overhaul it. When he drove it, it hardly displayed the symptoms from the other day. It still did not feel right, but it seemed better. The problem seems to be somewhat intermittent. My car's going in at 8:00 tomorrow morning and they're going to drop the pan and look into it further. He said if the pan is relatively clean, they might just be able to replace the solenoid, but if there's chunks of debris, etc. it'll probably have to be overhauled). I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow.

What I don't understand is, his scanner read "No 2-3 shift, No 3rd or 4th gear" When I drive it, it shifts into all gears, including 3rd and 4th unless I've been driving the car longer than an hour. It does begin to shift unpleasantly after about 20 minutes, but still will shift. If I drive it longer than 1 hour, it will not go into 3rd or 4th. However, if I hop in it after sitting overnight, I can hop on the freeway and it will go 70 mph and shift gears no problem. It's like after the engine's warm, it doesn't seem to wanna shift at higher speeds. But if the engine's cold, it will shift into all gears. Does the fact that it "can" shift all gears point to something else? I would think if it was a mechanical failure of the transmission, it would not shift into those gears at all. It will shift sometimes and other times it won't. Any thoughts?

Thanks guys for helping me,
Tyler

Quick Reply: Possible Transmission Failure