Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

Transmissiom fill amount ????

Old 07-01-2015, 09:35 PM
JCC

Transmissiom fill amount ????

Have question on 2008 HHR, 2.2, automatic transmission refill. Everything says the fill amount is 6.9 qt. but mine took 7.9... one extra qt. Is there more than one transmission a 2.2 could have in it? I did replace the filter also, could that be where the extra qt. went? Even checked the fill level with the car (all 4 wheels) on the ground... and just a little came out the plug hole with the engine running per directions. Seems to run fine, just can't understand the extra qt. thing. Any input or had like problem? Thanks
Old 07-02-2015, 06:18 AM
Technical Moderator

Car level, engine running and warm. The hole should be wet, but not dripping.

Sounds like you did it right.

Do you have an add-on cooler? Did you turn the trans/engine over while draining?

I guess you just drained some out of the converter, that's relatively a good thing.

I would not worry about it.

I just checked my 2011 Owners Manual; they finally got around to rounding the "approximate" capacity up to 7.0 qts. It does emphasize "approximate".
Old 07-02-2015, 09:16 PM
JCC

donbrew, Will double check for a cooler but sure I don't have one, no did not turn trans/engine over during draining, good point as it would have pushed out more oil.

I think it was in the filter which I noted was heavy and some came out when I took it down and turned it up, it is a big filter. I'll say one thing, it was very clean inside the trans and also the pan... VERY clean. Friend (now says) next time drain into a pan and measure how much comes out... yes NEXT TIME I'll know to check the amount. BUT I read all the info saying "drain and refill 7 qts"... not really addressing the filter change part. I'm also sure of my count (of 8 qts) is right also, checked the invoice too as I had a total of 3, not getting all the qts. at one time.

By the way, I used a lift with the supports at the 4 spots for the car jack on the uniframe. When lifted I got a 2 ft level and placed it on the transmission pan and found it to be level in both front to rear and left to right. So when on the level ground I think the pan will be level left to right and would be off very little front to rear, if any. Just a note to all on a place to start on "where is level". I topped mine off with it on level ground, no jacks any place, catch pan with white paper towel on a pice of cardboard resting on the side of the pan so I could see the red fluid as it came out. Then jacked it up so I could get under it to replace the plug... engine running before removing the check plug and after replacing the plug before turning it off.

End by saying it does shift and run alright. Will recheck when I can get on the lift again and with the trains hot.
Thanks for the input... happy roads.

Last edited by JCC; 07-02-2015 at 09:21 PM. Reason: just to make it more clear