HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

GM announces new SS

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by moonsign
I was really surprised a couple weeks ago, when I pulled up behind a car that kinda looked like a 4 door Camero. On the rear end it was definately badged as a Holden. Also it was left hand drive to boot. Making a left hand turn in front of me as I followed, side view was definately a Holden. Being a car guy, even I was'nt aware that Holdens were even imported to the states. The Holden turned off only two blocks from my house. See it again, will follow it, and see where it goes, and talk to owner/ driver. "Moon"
It may have been a Holden but the VF will not look like a Camaro.

Holden Also is getting a Malibu so you may have seen them testing a Holden Malibu as it has the Camaro rear.

Note that Holden is pretty much Chevy for the most part anymore with the Cruze, Sonic and Malibu in their line up and more changes coming. Chevy is becoming a global brand and most but not all models will be sold world wide. In places like Aus, they will keep the Holden name but for the most part the line us will be right hand drive Rebadges Chevys with market tuning.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
There are options...

We will be lucky to just get the 2 door. The G8 ST was already engineered for here so that one would be cheap to bring in.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Blue_SS
I'm working on the new Colorado. Without saying things that could get me fired: it will be a vast improvement, but it is a truck. All that that entails, applies. You want to pull trailers, it can. You want to haul more than 2 people, you can. Hot street performance? No, the Ute wins. Figure on lots of wins over current competition, but it's a truck.
If anyone has missed the Colorado he speaks of check out the web as it already has been shown in Asia and I think it is already on sale. It is a big improvment in many ways.

The biggest questions for the American market version will be price and engines.

With only the Toyota to challange in this segment the Chevy should do well if the price is right. With the present truck the cost of it vs the discounts on the full size has made it difficult to move. For near the same price the full size is a much better value.

I really missed my Sonoma and just could not bring myself to buy a Colorado. The new truck I hope will change this feeling for me.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:54 AM

^ The GMC (which I have not seen in public yet) is the winner for me. The Chevy doesn't do it for me, unfortunately. Kind of looks too much like a small Honda Ridgeline. The GMC looks more truck-like.

But, yeah, with the Ranger gone, this should do OK, as long as it is priced right, and not a terrible product.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Blue_SS
^ The GMC (which I have not seen in public yet) is the winner for me. The Chevy doesn't do it for me, unfortunately. Kind of looks too much like a small Honda Ridgeline. The GMC looks more truck-like.

But, yeah, with the Ranger gone, this should do OK, as long as it is priced right, and not a terrible product.
I have not seen the GMC but I have a Spy Photographer friend who told me about it. He said it to be more truck like. He compared it to the differences to the Nox Vs Terrain in looks one being more car like and the other more truck like.

I don't mind the standard cab and ext cab Chevy but the crew cab looks a little wacky with the rear bed so short.

The Ranger proved even a very old outdated truck if priced right would still have a great market. I just wish GM had gone back to the S10 size of truck and think a little smaller.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:51 AM

I hope the SS is Chevy's version of the G8. Those are badass cars
Old 05-20-2012, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo Hearse
I hope the SS is Chevy's version of the G8. Those are badass cars
It is Chevys version of the G8 GXP only updated and with things like an Aluminum hood and other weight reduction and new suspension set up. This will be more car than the G8 GT was.

There is little mystery of this car only what the nose and grill will look like will be the greatest change from the VF Holden. Also the new Gen 5 engine has some mystery yet.

We need to remember Chevy and Holden are for the most part mostly one divison now. A trip to the Holden site will look more like a Chevy web site than most imagine.

Here is a drawing of an idea of what to expect. Imagine this only a little more agressive. This one is more of the Non SS form we may see a year or so later.
Note they are removing the Holden wheelwell arches and making the car a lot smoother in the styling. I would expect more agressive wheels and some kind or rear spoiler. The grill may be close as it is the new face for Chevy with the coming models like the Impala and Traverse. Expect HP at least 430-450 HP. Could be more in the future. I would not be suprised if we may get some special editions based on Holden HSV models.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:46 AM

Went to the Tech Center on Saturday for GM car test drive event. Drove several new vehicles, Regal GS, vette, CTS-V, Verano, Escalade, Sonic Turbo, 45th Edition Camaro, Silverado and a few more. Pretty neat event for sure. Also picked up their news edition. Article in there about the new SS. Here is the online link:

http://www.detroitautoscene.com/
Old 05-21-2012, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by 09 Silver Bullett
Went to the Tech Center on Saturday for GM car test drive event. Drove several new vehicles, Regal GS, vette, CTS-V, Verano, Escalade, Sonic Turbo, 45th Edition Camaro, Silverado and a few more. Pretty neat event for sure. Also picked up their news edition. Article in there about the new SS. Here is the online link:

http://www.detroitautoscene.com/
I have done some of the ride and drives with GM in the past and they are fun. I went to several where they took us out to an Airport taxi way and let us lose with a Z06, CTSV and SSR on a autocross track.

I took it easy the first time and the guy said if you like drive it as deep as you like. So I went back and went into my full autocross mode. He had no issues with deep braking and drifting in the corners but I think I scared him when I hit the end line like the timing lights and nailed the brakes at the line.

A friend just got back from a GM feed back deal where they got to lap in the new ZL1 and the ZR1. They also got to take laps with some of the best test engineers and Ron Fellows. Imagin getting to lap a track with Ron Fellows in a ZR1!!