General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Raising the Dead....

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 02:12 AM
Deceased

Arrow Raising the Dead....

This is meant for new and old members alike. We've seen a trend recently of what I like to call "Raising the Dead", where members find archived threads and ask questions of the OP(Original Poster), or tack new posts onto the long dead threads.

We archive every thread and post here for reference purposes, but some of them are old and covered with the internet equivalent of dust and cobwebs. If you're patient enough, you can find Post #1 from Day #1.

So if you've found a thread relating to something you're having trouble with, or something you have questions about, look at the date(Upper left hand corner, just above the member's username). If the thread dates from 2007 for example, the chances are iffy that the OP is still active after seven years, so start a new thread.

Speaking for the staff here, we'd rather see a new thread started, than having a member expressing frustration over not receiving a reply that would require time travel.

Last edited by 843de; 11-18-2014 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Can't spell at 3:12 am...
Old 11-18-2014, 02:22 AM
Platinum Member

Well put.

Don't forget that a Private Message to a member is also a more direct way to ensure they will see it, as they may not notice your posting in an old thread.

Be aware that old troubleshooting threads often will have out-dated info - case in point: brake shutter has recently been attributed to worn out lower control arm bushings (among other possible causes), and is not mentioned at all in many of the ancient threads.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:16 AM
Deceased

Excellent points whopper, thanks for the additional thoughts.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:26 AM
Administrator

And please when starting a thread to ask a question or for help include you HHR's year, engine, transmission, model! If you have the CEL or MIL on and have had the codes pulled post the actual code, please!
And keep us upto date on if our responses fix your issues!

Thanks very much, I know several here who are frustrated that their advise is not acknowledged.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:31 AM
Deceased

X2.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member

x3 - especially the point about including downloading the code from the Check Engine Light. A number of first-timers don't seem to realize how important that step is - it is a crucial step if they are looking for relevant advice/information.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:30 PM
Administrator

or the importance of following our instructions given from experience and the time we have owned these little trucklets! Sometimes the most simple thing will resolve a problem!
like the battery reset or even just pushing all the fuses and relays in tight once in a while or adjusting the rear drum brakes for the dreaded judder!
Old 11-18-2014, 03:08 PM

Hummm,...

How many times have I seen the regulars jump on newbies telling them to use the search feature on here {and most of the other boards I frequent}

Granted that some topics keep coming back in cycles {like the front end judders} and have been covered in great depth, over and over, to the point that most of the regulars are bored to tears with the topic and a search by the newbie should have covered it.

I suppose that if a new guy were to come on and say something like “I was searching the net for my particular problem and found this site but all the posts are like 7 years old, so I decided to start a new thread,....” that would be acceptable.

I know from personal experience that many times my googlefoo is pretty good and I will find the answer to many of my questions so I no longer need to ask the question. The real problem with many newbies is they have become used to the whole instant gratification thing.

When they type in a question about their problem on their favorite search engine they want all the answers complete with pictures or better yet video of how to do it, and they want it right now!

Sometimes I think they would much rather have someone just come to where they are and fix it, at no charge, without being asked, but I digress.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:20 PM

As a somewhat new member, I'd like to say that I'm happy to see this. A few times, I've seen someone new post a question only to be chewed out a bit about not searching for the topic with the search bar. I personally search the forum for everything I'm wondering about but sometimes feel I'd understand better if I can voice my question my way and have members reply to help me.

Does that make sense?

I have learned tons from this wonderful forum and its awesome members but sometimes I feel a bit nervous about posting a question, as I don't want to get jumped on for posting about something that might have been discussed in past years.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Greenied1
As a somewhat new member, I'd like to say that I'm happy to see this. A few times, I've seen someone new post a question only to be chewed out a bit about not searching for the topic with the search bar. I personally search the forum for everything I'm wondering about but sometimes feel I'd understand better if I can voice my question my way and have members reply to help me.

Does that make sense?

I have learned tons from this wonderful forum and its awesome members but sometimes I feel a bit nervous about posting a question, as I don't want to get jumped on for posting about something that might have been discussed in past years.

Then just start your questions that way. "Hey, I've searched but can't seem to find----------" Or, "I know it's been discussed but--------"

Most of the times newbs get chewed out and sent to "Search school", because they ask the same old questions that have been asked over and over again.
The older members here with the answers are just tired of posting up the same replies to repeated questions over and over. Especially when the older members know that a Search will bring up all kinds of related info.

Quick Reply: Raising the Dead....