Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

Best Mileage Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:59 PM
Banned

Best Mileage Oil?

Anyone checked there mileage with different brands or weight of oil? How about synthetic vs dino oil?

In motorcycles you usually see an increase in MPG when switching to syn. oil, in some bikes lighter weight will do the same like a 10-40 compared to 20-50.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:05 PM

Dont believe your going to make any significant improvements there in that dept..unless you want to try 0W30 or 0W20...since your in FLA shouldnt have any temp issues. These cars are pretty much it the way they come unless you want to get into tunes.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:06 AM
Platinum Member

For Fla, I wouldn't be using any lighter grades of oil than 5-30, as called for.
But of course in Syn.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:22 AM

I agree with sleeper I wouldn't change the weight of the oil. I run mobile one in my cars.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:27 AM
Banned

If it works in motorcycles it should work in this little engine as well, i gained 2-4 mpg by switching to syn in bikes. My question is has anyone experimented with oils like many have done with tires, air pressure, tunes wheel size, wax, grill mods etc.

I have a post about MPG tunes....

I use Rotella T in all things with 4 wheels and Mobil 1 syn, in the bikes.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:10 AM
Premium Member

Give it a try, let us know how you do. I'm looking for increased mileage in the long run, like 300,000 miles or more. I will be sticking with M-1 in all of mine. Costco keeps offering it at 24.00 a case.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:43 AM

I favor and use full synthetic oil. IMO gives the best results! I never noticed much of a MPG difference on my cars or motorcycles, Of course the bike dependes on how you use the throttle :).. BUT I had alittle extra Moblie 1 left oil one day and changed the oil in my air cooled lawn mower! I was able to cut both side on 1 tank after I used it instead of having to add some gas to finish, so guess I got more yardage :) It may work better on air cooled motors the water cooled, either way I will use synthetic any time I change oil
Old 03-30-2013, 12:29 PM

Going to syn never hurts but its still a trade off. The higher costs of the oil compared to the savings of the fuel. Of course this all depends on how and how much the vehicle is used and how often you change the oil. Ex: say your in sales and you practically live in your car, you'll see savings by the end of the year,, but if its an occasional around town car..not so much. Now if you can gain a significant amount of milage, that all changes. But not likely with these engines. Your water temp dictates oil temps, and syn does not have the flow problems or coking problems that dino oil has so a lighter oil is not a problem to "experiment" with. You old school types still stuck on the 30 wt winter 40 wt summer oils..Ive played with all kinds of weights from 0 to 50 and had no problems, this was with a truck that pulled trailers and did cross country trips in way more temp variations then fla will have..( Fla and El paso were just two of the hotter places). Personaly I would not use the 0w20 only because I still have some old school left in me but experimenting with it might be useful if done at the right time of year. If someone doesnt try it then how will anybody ever know. Ive used 0W30 in my SS and it ran fine but really coudnt find any measurable differences, but then i wasnt exactly looking for them. Ran it a couple oil changes to see how it held up between changes and didnt really see any difference there either, except cost. All depends what you want..will you really gain milage? Sure,,dont idle...dont jack rabbit,, coast over hills...if your going after milage theres a whole lot to gain if you cover all the bases and not just oil. And its hard to measure because even the gas quality changes so much you dont know if its gas or oil or tire pressure that caused the gains or loss . All food for thought.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:21 AM

I have just bought my HHR and am learning the car any help is good
Old 12-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Premium Member

Welcome to the site Mike......

Quick Reply: Best Mileage Oil?