Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 04:48 PM

I basically beat the piss outta my engine when I first got the HHR. Well, beat it to SOME standards. I never hit the rev limiter but got really close to the 6000 mark. 5spds are fun! Never had a problem with oil, gas or anything else. Other than a broken shift fork. That was different! Sucker broke clean in half. But maybe my MPGs are a little better since I have the smaller engine!
Old 06-29-2007, 04:55 PM

Thumbs up

Snoopy, thanks for the endorsement

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Based on how GM "breaks in" their test vehicles (at least before I retired from the Proving Ground), Lone Ranger is more correct than most of the posts on here regarding "break in". They did what was termed "whip schedule" for 500 miles. I use it for EVERY one of my cars in the past 30+ years. NEVER had an oil consumption problem (even using GM's acceptable oil consumption table...which I THINK is unacceptable and excessive).

On a recent G2G with the AZ group to Tucson and up Mt. Lemmon and back to Phoenix I averaged 27.4 MPG with an average speed of 44MPH. Not bad for all the mountain climbing.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by nfboy
You're not supposed to drive the piss out of it during break-in.

From the manual:

"Notice: Your vehicle does not need an elaborate
break-in. But it will perform better in the long run if
you follow these guidelines:
• Do not drive at any one constant speed, fast or
slow, for the first 500 miles (805 km). Do not
make full-throttle starts. Avoid downshifting to
brake, or slow, the vehicle.
• Avoid making hard stops for the first 200 miles
(322 km) or so. During this time your new brake
linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops with new
linings can mean premature wear and earlier
replacement. Follow this breaking-in guideline
every time you get new brake linings.
• Do not tow a trailer during break-in. See Towing
a Trailer (Manual Transaxle) on page 4-39 or
Towing a Trailer (Automatic Transaxle) on
page 4-39 for the trailer towing capabilities of
your vehicle and more information."

Someone else here reported a similar problem and it was suggested a reflash might help. If I recall they took it to the dealer, had that done and mileage improved significantly.
PARDON ME - WHAT IS A REFLASH?
Old 06-29-2007, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by ssfamilywagon
Well, how many miles do you have on your car? That matters. When I first got mine, the average wasn't good. But the more miles we put on the car, the better mileage we got. Now with all our mods, we get 24-25 city and 30-31 highway. Not bad since i'm tuned with bigger injectors. But when we step on it, man she drinks gas.
I AM STILL UNDER 3000 MILES. IS THERE A CHANCE IT MAY IMPROVE?
Old 06-29-2007, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by HILWAYB
PARDON ME - WHAT IS A REFLASH?
Basically a reprogramming of the computer module which controls the engine functions.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chizzer
I know this doesn't help, but I get about 11.5-12L/100km. Not bad at all.
You realize that converts to only 19 to 20 MPG (US)? I generally get between 8.1 and 9.5L/100km or 25 to 29 MPG (US) combined city/highway.

Last edited by nfboy; 06-29-2007 at 09:11 PM. Reason: clarify that mine is combined city/highway
Old 06-29-2007, 09:00 PM

All in town driving and about 4 miles each way to work for my Wife. She gets just over 22 mpg. 2.2 w/ auto. trans. Which is just what the window sticker says for city driving. I thought it might do better with a K&N Air Filter, and a turbo muffler, but I guess not!
Old 06-29-2007, 11:18 PM
Uma

thank you, familywagon, Uma would thank you, but she is in bed waiting for a cruise tomarrow, although it will be a mixed affair..meaning HHrs and Ptlosers. I am looking forward to it. Hopefully she will impress! Thanks for the props. Todd(Uma)
Old 06-30-2007, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Chizzer
I know this doesn't help, but I get about 11.5-12L/100km. Not bad at all.
I think I might want to have that checked out, unless you are doing 100% City driving.... or taking it to the track at Luskville every night!

As mentioned, I'm down around 7.5-7.7L/100km
Old 06-30-2007, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by krishaynes
I think I might want to have that checked out, unless you are doing 100% City driving.... or taking it to the track at Luskville every night!

As mentioned, I'm down around 7.5-7.7L/100km
A lot of people are confused by the metric way of measuring fuel economy. A higher number of liters per 100Km is a bad thing as it represents the amount of fuel consumed to drive the 100Km. So the lower the number, like yours, the better, as that means less fuel was used.

Chizzer is driving a relatively new HHR. Mileage will always be worse then and improves as the engine breaks in and continues to improve, generally, for the first few months of driving. But mine was never as bad as his. I think the worst I got was 10.06L/100Km. But again, I drive a combination of city/highway and have a manual tranny which does not seem to make lot of difference in the HHR mileage, it seems, from those with an auto tranny.

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage