Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

Gas saving ideas from Edmonds!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 10:59 PM

I wasn't assuming, CJ. Just using your well known age as a humor reference. My Dad is in his 50s but still works everyday, even after a 32 year Navy career.

Next.

Everything I mentioned above was to keep things realistic for those who do want to save gas, that's all.

I would hate for someone to read your views about driving spiritedly all the time, like their car wont show a dramatic difference in the mpg, when in actuality...it does....then they would really 'pay' for it :)

No assumptions were made about you in a derogatory fashion, I hope you don't see ill towards me. I tried to make generalizations about your words. Even then the estimated 20grand you dropped on your HHR could have bought even something older and 'FUN'. But we all chose are HHRs for many more reasons than that, and how we drive them is completely up to us. I'm just reminding people that with the way gas prices continue to rise they should be more mindful, if not for $$, then at least for the environment.

Watching the way gas prices have risen, must have been a story all its own for folks like you and my dad....even grandparents.... but the percentage price increase from January 1 to today has been the greatest and fastest increase in the 100+ years we have been driving.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:17 PM
Deceased

there are many ways to save gas and everyone is already doing it.
i get tired of all the slow driving people at lights in the DFW area. i get tired of following people in them and it takes 1/2 mile to get to 40.

driving habits are the best way to get better mileage and alot of gimmicks will pop up to save you get higher mileage. most dont work.

by all means, we all drive for diff reasons and i have a motorcycle that gets 33 mpg around town and if it get really worse i will drive it. it is only a small portion of why i own it as well. i know there are many on a budget but if people didnt see this coming its like the ant storing food for winter and no one else is. i have 3 cars in our family and the Nox gets 18 to 20 around town. daughter has a cobalt and i drive an HHR. she gets the best mileage of us all. not heavy footed and lighter car w same engine. she is getting 24 to 26 around town and 32 to 35 on the road.

problem we dont understand is we are our own problem on the gas prices. they help create the shortage but we are the problem,,, we dont like to share a ride,,, we like driving our own cars,,, we like being in charge soooooooooooooooo we like paying higher prices for gas.

supply and demand,,,, quit using it so they have more than they can sell,,, price goes down.
use to much and they dont have enough and you pay more for it.

simple economics.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:37 AM

Having returned from serving overseas for 10 years, I can actually say that US gas prices are a relief! I've not been anywhere where gas (petrol, benzin, mogas, etc) is priced so low, with the exception of Saudi Arabia, where it was $0.90/gallon. In Japan, I was spending about $4.50/gallon, while in the UK the price was at $6.00/gallon!!

Now, don't get me wrong, I do think that we could save money by altering our core driving habits. But let's not forget how lucky we are to be paying what we are, with global gas prices averaging well above our own. In part because US fuel prices have gone up 50% in a year, many feel a shock at the gas pumps, and I can understand that.

All in all, the HHR is economical by design, and even the most heavy-footed of us are reaping the rewards. Even though I average 25mp/g, that's a hell of a lot better than my '76 Vette at 7mp/g, or even my 300C at 19mp/g. As a FWD, small displacement, twist beam rear, brick-in-a-wind-tunnel, I'll never take it to track days, but I'll still enjoy driving a bit quicker than average. And save money doing it!
Old 07-31-2006, 08:38 PM
Founding Member

Test #5: Check Your Tire Pressure

I'm gulity! I just went out to check my tire pressures..... all were low. I fixed that. I air 'em up to the proper level as per the owners manual!
So, this is a bump for this thread and a reminder to check your tire pressures!
..and with fuel prices out of sight, a reminder on this thread of fuel saving tips we all should know!