Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

How accurate is the MPG detector computer thing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The only reasons I even bother to track my MPG is to look for problems creeping up on me. If the MPG changes suddenly it means "something" is going on.
Im with you...use it only as a reference..bad gas,,change of seasons fuel..that sort of thing....after so long you know what the milage is...also, as a rule one should not go below 1/4 tank of fuel on a regular basis..fuel cools the pump and fuel sloshing around allows air to enter and chatters the pump when real low. besides..the avg fuel may be good or some things but I'd never
use it for low fuel indicator, too many variables there and its based on total fuel starting with,,show me a production fuel gage system that is that accurate. Mine doesnt even start moving until I reach around 68 miles....
In town driving will tear up mileage as will hills, wind, cold temperatures (until eng warms up, converter will not lock up and the cold circuit is still active...that would be the same as a choke..)best would be to reset a known run on the highway to get an 'idea' what hwy mileage is and then do the same for in town...