Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

Hypermiling

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 07:31 AM

I would prefer my money go to a good ole farmer here in the USA
As the price of corn/food skyrockets the poor of the world either starve or protest against the suppressive governments that control them.

Your figure do not take in the actual cost associated with growing, manufacturing and distribution of corn based fuel.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:53 PM

$3.02 a gallon was the figure I came up with yesterday
Old 04-25-2011, 12:19 AM

I lost over 4 mpg on a trip back from NY because of weather...rain and wind killed it ....or else NY gas was weak, not a true 91....[I]m leaning towards weather..it was pretty rough at times and doing it in the dark wee hours of the morning didnt help one bit. 24 and change on the way back...30 and change on the way up...carrying an extra 4/500 lbs of gear. Extra weight made a diff in the weather though...made the rear feel nice and solid.
Oh yeah.. air bags....great stuff..never knew it was loaded from the outside..and the ride was smooth, no bounce at all..actually better then empty. Ran 25 lbs air.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by MODIFIEDmodified
The RPO code build list for your HHR is on a sticker inside your glove box along with the paint code numbers. Search this site for a complete year by year list of the meanings for each. Somewhere in here someone posted a link to an external site that would give you the definition for each RPO code you enter no matter what year or model of GM. I have it on my work computer but not here at home.
I don't know if this is the site you're referring to, but this is a good way to tell what options your vehicle has:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

(When you enter your VIN, sometimes it looks like nothing happened, but it's thinking. It will come back with your data. Another thing, it only goes up to early 2010 models, though, as of right now.)
Old 08-24-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by db/sb
http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/acetone.asp
But those who use it, like the OP, will still argue the merits of using it...his vehicle, his choice.
That snope site really dosent have any proof of anything with the acetone. I use to put acetone in an Explorer I had, it seemed to get better mileage on the highway. Now that I have the HHR it gets great mileage so im not even going to try to mess with snake oil crap again. I would just stay away from additives.....
Old 08-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Rigormortor
That snope site really dosent have any proof of anything with the acetone. I use to put acetone in an Explorer I had, it seemed to get better mileage on the highway. Now that I have the HHR it gets great mileage so im not even going to try to mess with snake oil crap again. I would just stay away from additives.....
I guess you didn't scroll to the bottom of the page and check the references (5)......which you can also click on and read their opinions. Whether you choose to believe them, is up to you. But the Snopes couple always provide references when they state something. It's not just a nebulous person providing a testimonial.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I guess you didn't scroll to the bottom of the page and check the references (5)......which you can also click on and read their opinions. Whether you choose to believe them, is up to you. But the Snopes couple always provide references when they state something. It's not just a nebulous person providing a testimonial.
I did see them. They seem to be other opinions as well. But I agree the acetone thing isnt a smart idea and more than likely dosent help as much as we would like it to. Im not trying to argue or anything like that. But im sure you see all kinds of snake oil stuff on TV, "Add this and you will get another 10mpg" type of stuff. For me I believe in the proper tire pressure, clean air filter and keep the engine tuned. Thats about it. I've tried acetone before in several vehicles, only 1 it seemed to help on the highway. But having a little 4 cylinder im not going to mess with it at all. Plus being a corrosive, not a smart idea.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by 5speed4
I don't know if this is the site you're referring to, but this is a good way to tell what options your vehicle has:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

(When you enter your VIN, sometimes it looks like nothing happened, but it's thinking. It will come back with your data. Another thing, it only goes up to early 2010 models, though, as of right now.)
Thanks for the link, that's the best vin decoder I've seen.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rigormortor
I use to put acetone in an Explorer I had, it seemed to get better mileage on the highway.
Seemed to? So you didn't record the before and after mileage to make a comparison? "Seems to" really doesn't prove anything. And that's one of the reasons that Snopes rates it as false, there may not conclusive proof that its false, but there isn't any proof other than anecdotal claims that it's true either. If it was true, there would be more documentation available to back than you would have time to read.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:50 PM

I saw a 1-2 mpg difference, which wasnt much to brag about. Also not worth all the trouble. AND I did record the before and after so going from 18-20 on the highway wasnt a big win -win situation.

Quick Reply: Hypermiling