Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

My "hypermiling" techniques

Old 06-30-2008, 12:12 PM

I'm like 1Panel2NV and diskullman. I drive mine normally, with a little bit of a lead foot, and have averaged 27.4 since I have had the car (I never have reset the DIC). About 60% of my 60 mile daily commute is interstate, so that may be part of it.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Just saw on the news this morning...

UPS saved several million gallons of fuel last year by eliminating and greatly reducing LEFT TURNS. ...snip...
So that's Why JARRETT never got to race the truck. All those nasty left turns.....
Old 06-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah....

I wonder if NASCAR will consider going clock-wise on all the tracks, instead of counterclock wise
Old 06-30-2008, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Just saw on the news this morning...

UPS saved several million gallons of fuel last year by eliminating and greatly reducing LEFT TURNS. It appears the rational was waiting for traffic to clear to make the turn and in waiting to make the turn in line.

Interesting concept. What do you think "cleveland"....willing to try it???
I unfortunatly worked for 4 months at FEDEX home delivery for a post school job until I found an engineering related position. They had a sophisticated (sometimes too much so) program that calculated the 110 stop, 100+mile 10 hour santa-clauss-fest known as home delivery routing instructions. You never had to back up, minimized left turns, etc etc.....somtimes it would even make up its own roads...lol

Anyway... I already minimize left turns.....but I do leave in at least 1 so I don't circle my apartment.

I haven't turned off my car on the highway ever, and I don't turn off my car at stoplights. My 5 speed spends a great amount of time in neutral though!!!
Old 06-30-2008, 12:45 PM

I need to clarify I don't turn the car off in traffic..just into neutral. But at a drive through or anywhere else if I'm going to idle for more than 1 minute I shut it down.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:17 PM

I'm at 34-36 mpg going to work at 65-70 all freeway with cruz on. I average 29-30 for the week. The drive home in traffic and the climb up hill to my house kills the MPG. 2Lt Panel, 5 spd. Mobile 1.

To the point of coasting. In California it is a ticketable offence. I got a warning years ago when I was driving my '48 Studebaker that coasted automatically when you were not pressing on the gas peddle. It was marketed as a "Free Wheeling" device.

Check out this website on Hypermilling: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207

It has an article from Motor trend magazine, 1956:
Old 06-30-2008, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hotrodbob
I'm at 34-36 mpg going to work at 65-70 all freeway with cruz on. I average 29-30 for the week. The drive home in traffic and the climb up hill to my house kills the MPG. 2Lt Panel, 5 spd. Mobile 1.

To the point of coasting. In California it is a ticketable offence. I got a warning years ago when I was driving my '48 Studebaker that coasted automatically when you were not pressing on the gas peddle. It was marketed as a "Free Wheeling" device.

Check out this website on Hypermilling: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207

It has an article from Motor trend magazine, 1956:
How can they catch you coasting?
When I coast in front of cops....they go around me..lol
34-36mpg at 65mph avg is the same as I get. I'm at 33.7 for the last 4 days with 50% city and my longtest trips are less than 15 miles so far. Not too bad, but the weather sucks here (rain..then more rain)....no motivation to drive spirited....
Old 06-30-2008, 06:25 PM

By planning routes to eliminate traffic stops, timing traffic, reducing left turn and shifting into neutral at traffic lights, I have been able to average 25.1 mpg city according to the DIC. Best highway so far is 38.4 mpg, keeping speed to 55mph. Not reccommended during heavy traffic!
Old 06-30-2008, 06:26 PM

I have been improving my mileage with some of these techniques as well.
I drive a 2007 LS Automatic. I have been able to get it up to around 33MPG.
What I am find that kills my mileage is the AC. I can loose up to 5MPG running it. It has been hot enough to need it recenlty. I also find that my route to work also can make a big difference. Since I go from Costa Mesa to Aliso Viejo, the temptation is to use the toll road. That big 6% hill always costs me in fuel/MPG, not to mention the toll fee.

I tend to get my best mileage running at 65 - 70 in cruise control. I tend to get run over if I go much slower...
Old 06-30-2008, 09:20 PM

Not to hijack your thread, but this is something I've been wondering and it is a technique you use: After you coast downhill, does dropping the tranny back into drive at highway speeds cause any additional mechanical problems?

I actually find I get the best mileage if I keep my RPMs between 2400-2700 no matter how fast that happens to be.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My "hypermiling" techniques