Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

My "hypermiling" techniques

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Scooter
After you coast downhill, does dropping the tranny back into drive at highway speeds cause any additional mechanical problems?
No. Remember the tq converter is unlocked in this state, so its not like you're trying to jamb a stick shift into gear w/o using the clutch. The RPMs jump up to 2000-2500 and engine compression will start to slow the car down, so you have to get into the gas some to maintain your speed. I'll coast until I drop a couple MPH before going back into Drive.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by diskullman
The whole downside to trying to save all this money, is that one day, you may overshoot neutral and pop it into reverse. ASK ME HOW I KNOW. You then relize that you didn't save a dime, and maybe spent an extra thousand for a trans that was perfectly fine before your downshift. This is really not good for your car, and if the mfgr knew people did this a lot, they would design the auto trans in a similar fashion to the manual, with a reverse lock-out. Also, I've heard rumors before that putting your car in neutral while rolling down hills is illegal in some states. Any truth to that?
I saw a Jeep rolling through my neighborhood this morning. I could hear him re-starting the car after losing some speed on the turn. Don't you lose power steering and power brake functions? I'm not so sure sacrificing ANY amount of safety is worth what you save in gas. The gas pedal has saved my ass in many accident situtions, almost dead even with the brake pedal.
I thought I was getting better mileage after I switched over to synthetic oil, but I also noticed my average speed for the week increased, and I'm getting to work on time and NO OIL can possibly to that. There are just less drivers on the road. Here in NJ, your mileage drops when you get on the highway, like it's the opposite of EPA standards.
i dont know what you are talking about but my auto trans will not let me shift into neutral unless i have my foot into the brake pedal. besides pay attention and you wont miss neutral. I dont know if it is like this in the hhr but my gmc truck does not engage reverse until you hit the gas from drive.

I getg 28.3 mpg according to the DIC with about 50/50 driving. worst think i have found for your gas mileage is ac and fast starts. I do feel the need to get into it every once in a while.

Random but does ne one know what the tranny in the hhr is rated for hp wise?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by masterchief1112
i dont know what you are talking about but my auto trans will not let me shift into neutral unless i have my foot into the brake pedal. besides pay attention and you wont miss neutral. I dont know if it is like this in the hhr but my gmc truck does not engage reverse until you hit the gas from drive.

I getg 28.3 mpg according to the DIC with about 50/50 driving. worst think i have found for your gas mileage is ac and fast starts. I do feel the need to get into it every once in a while.

Random but does ne one know what the tranny in the hhr is rated for hp wise?
I'm pretty sure Reverse is locked out while the car is moving forward, but N is not. You just push the shifter forward. I move in and out of neutral a dozen times on my way to work.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Goose
I get between 31-34mpg by staying between 60-65..that's it.....I find if I do 70-80 like I used to mpg drops off pretty quickly

I don't think it is just me but I have noticed that traffic overall has slowed down quite a bit on the highway..
Goose
Same here in So Cal Goose.
I travel to San Diego a great deal from South Orange County and over the past 10 years what used to take 45 mins increased to 1 1/2 hrs. Of late especially since school was out in the spring. It's back down to 45 mins to 1 hr travel time from my front door. That's a HUGE change especially since population in San Diego has grown exponentially.
I am seeing the summer tourist evident by the out of state plates picking up in numbers but nothing like I've seen before, even the Zonies (AZ) aren't as many as usual.
News reports 1million folks are going to hit San Diego this weekend
curtsy
E'
Old 07-02-2008, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Goose
I get between 31-34mpg by staying between 60-65..that's it.....I find if I do 70-80 like I used to mpg drops off pretty quickly

I don't think it is just me but I have noticed that traffic overall has slowed down quite a bit on the highway..

Goose
My first two tanks of gas, I've gotten 31.7 MPG overall.

For the last 2 months, I haven't been going above 60 MPH. Today I decided I won't go faster then 55. What funny is that when I first started...I felt like the slowest person on the road at 60...but now...only 2 months later...traffic in general is WAY slower. At least around Cleveland....

My HHR only has 975 miles on it and it's never been over 65!
Old 07-02-2008, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by djmoose
My first two tanks of gas, I've gotten 31.7 MPG overall.

For the last 2 months, I haven't been going above 60 MPH. Today I decided I won't go faster then 55. What funny is that when I first started...I felt like the slowest person on the road at 60...but now...only 2 months later...traffic in general is WAY slower. At least around Cleveland....

My HHR only has 975 miles on it and it's never been over 65!
LOLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I amprobably the slowest thing on the road, but i can tell more and more people are following me everyday..... i even found some people doing less than 60 in the slowlane with NO TRAFFIC AT 5:30AM when I'm driving to work. I have no problem at all doing 58-60mph on the way home, everyone just goes around. I feel like people are starting to "GET IT".

I've been doing a little P&G in the city lately when the traffic is not to thick. My avg mileage is 33 even (last 150 or so miles), and thats with no extended highway (max 15 miles).....so since i am getting 34-36 on the highway, I must be getting 30-32+mpg in the city. I can tell that If I really wanted to drive focused I could get 34+ in the city.

My goal of a 600mile 15.5 or less gallon tank will be realized soon with a little P&G on the highway.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:08 PM

sorry cleveland when i said neutral was locked out i meant reverse, i have also found you have to push the shift button along with the brake pedal so the chances of missing neutral are almost zero unless something i broken on your car!
Old 07-02-2008, 04:26 PM

Has anyone taken to "flintstoning" their HHR yet? Cutting out the floor panels so your feet can assist on starts & stops?
Old 07-02-2008, 05:29 PM

I usually get my girlfriend to push when we are stuck in really bad traffic (ie. construction delays or accident tie-ups.) It's good to get some fresh air and exercise every now and then!!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
I usually get my girlfriend to push when we are stuck in really bad traffic (ie. construction delays or accident tie-ups.) It's good to get some fresh air and exercise every now and then!!
I get that exercise on my bike. I took out my chariot cougar with my mountain bike. I "simulated" my son with 8 light reading books (calc, diff eq, cheme thermo, process control) and three bags of very old and very fat paint balls. That was about 33 pounds, plus the carrier equals 64+ pounds. I took a 35 mile ride, for my first ride towing anything... ever. Went smooth, the carrier is so sick!
Anyway about hhr's...the carrier, my 20inch frame mountain bike, fit in just fine with the 60/ seat down at the 40 up. I could fit one more bike in carry my son in the back, gear room , plus an empty passenger seat. This is somthing the competition could not do....no VW, no Subaru, maybe an ugly torque steering Caliber, no Element, and no scion..lol. Not the mileage (33mpg this tank so far), not the power (bsr tune money went to the carrier and his Mom's bike lol), and not the interior space.

Last edited by Clevelandhhrss; 07-02-2008 at 09:50 PM.

Quick Reply: My "hypermiling" techniques