Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

Poor economy

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
"Not sure if the recirc turns on the ac compressor on these or not, but the snowflake button is not lit up."

No, the A/C compressor is off in recirc mode. Unless you push the A/C button to on..

I agree w/others, check air filter first..(see pic). Any good CLEAN air filter should improve mileage.

My 2.4 is averaging 30ish mpg @ 70 mph.. (but my tires are a tad taller to be fair)..

Then maybe re-set the ECM
Check the owners manual I know that on the Ss model as odd as it sounds
If the recirc button is on the actually pump is on even If the ac light is off.
I have noticed that with my old 2.4 anything. Over 65 MPH say 70 and gas mileage goes down fast.
With my ss and the different gearing,I can go faster and get better mileage at say 70 to 75.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:40 PM

I rechecked my oil before leaving for work after the wagon had been setting all day. It is definitely up on the cable of the dip stick. I think that may be my problem, I can't believe I didn't notice that when i bought it. The oil is extremely clean and hard to see in my defense
Old 07-21-2012, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bigjacksauto
Check the owners manual I know that on the Ss model as odd as it sounds
If the recirc button is on the actually pump is on even If the ac light is off.
BigJack- Thanks for catching that.. Ur right, I was thinking of the "outside air" mode..(thats the one I use most).. My Bad..

Peebles-

Overfilling can happen from not getting a complete oil drain & then adding 5 qts on top, it adds up..

Personally, I would drain it, & give it a proper oil change.. Then you know what you have..

& Checking the oil when hot or warm is the recommended proceedure in the OM.. That is the most accurate,..
Old 07-22-2012, 07:26 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by Old Lar
I discovered that when I put on new tire (Coopers), my mpg dropped from a little over 30 mpg average to about 27 mpg. I had some Goodyear high mileage tire previously. I keep records for all my gas purchase for the 98K miles on the clock.

Even when I had the original tires on the car I was still averaging 30+ mpg. The same Goodyears were close to $800 for a set of 4 and the Coopers were under $500. I had not believed tires would have made such a difference, but that is the only thing I can say was changed.
Are the tire sizes the same as the placard sizes, or what the computer is set to? I have found that using 60 series tires instead of 55 series makes about that much difference (2.5%). The computer can be reset to a given tire size with a Tech II scanner, if that has never been diddled then the placard on the door frame is what it's set for. Theoretically, if it has been diddled then the placard should have been changed.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:36 PM

Ok, so I checked my oil even though I got it changed at the beginning of the month...looked good. I looked for a fuse box under the hood to pull the ECM fuse but I must not be looking in the right spot because I can't find the fuse box. My fuel economy is getting worse...it's reading less than 22 mpg righ now. I've put 80 miles on since I filled up. The only thing I haven't checked is my air filter but the dealer said my air filter looked good when I got my oil changed. I'm stumped because the only thing I've done is remove the resonator on the exhaust but that shouldn't effect it. Any ideas? I've got right at 20k miles.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:41 PM

The fuse box is on the right hand side near the back of the engine bay. It's a large box pops off easily with two snaps the fuses that may affect your mileage are 41 and 43 the ecm and Trans ecm fuses they are labeled on the inside of your box lid. Remove them wait a few minutes reinstall. Many factors affect fuel economy though. It could be your tires or wheels, I notice you listed aftermarket drag dr19 wheels if they are heavier than stock can affect performance and economy. Suspension mods, but generally lowering will yield better fuel econ. I've actually been having this exact same problem with mine and been fighting to get my mileage to improve along with increased performance
Old 07-23-2012, 05:46 AM
Platinum Member

Not to be picky here, but the fuse box is on the left side(drivers) of the engine bay. It will be on your right when looking from the front of the car.

Don't want people to think their fuse box is on the wrong side.

Not the best picture,but shows the fuse box. Black plastic cover with the white cover decal.

Last edited by firemangeorge; 07-23-2012 at 05:51 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 07-23-2012, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Are the tire sizes the same as the placard sizes, or what the computer is set to? I have found that using 60 series tires instead of 55 series makes about that much difference (2.5%). The computer can be reset to a given tire size with a Tech II scanner, if that has never been diddled then the placard on the door frame is what it's set for. Theoretically, if it has been diddled then the placard should have been changed.
Nope..same size tires as the originals. They are listed as good rain tires which are "sticier" than the low rolling tires.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Peebles24
I just recently bought my 2011 1LT 2.2 auto, I am not terribly impressed with my economy. I drive very easy maybe not true hyper miling but still very easy. My normal driving is mostly rural roads where I can run about 50 mph. I am in Indiana so it is hilly. The vehicle has 39,000 miles and is bone stock, my best fill up netted me 26.5 calculated and 27.5 per the dic. I know it should be capable of much better than this, the other day I got on the interstate and set the cruise at the 70 mph speed limit, from what I saw on the dic I was only getting around 27 average.

What can I do to make it better, I know it should be capable.

What type of fuel are you running in the vehicle? Be sure to use the recommended grade (octane) fuel for your vehicle.

Are you having any warning lights pop up?

I realize spark plugs are suppose to be good through 100,000 miles, but not wondering how they are looking.

Do you have your cargo area pretty full when you are traveling?

Are you letting the vehicle idle for extended periods of time?

I realize you may already know that the above things can hurt the fuel economy, but I thought I would throw them out there to ponder on.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 07-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Peebles24
, the other day I got on the interstate and set the cruise at the 70 mph speed limit, from what I saw on the dic I was only getting around 27 average.

What can I do to make it better, I know it should be capable.
I'm not real familiar with the instrumentation in the 2011. Do you have BOTH an Instant MPG and a Average MPG? And which are you indicating in the above statement? If it's the AVERAGE Gage, it is including in the calculation what speed and average MPG you acquired prior to your Interstate trip and setting the cruise.

I would suggest getting on the Interstate and pressing the RESET BUTTON for the Average MPG....this will zero it back. Then (or before resetting the Gage), set your cruise control for 55 MPH, for example, and travel for about 50 miles.

If you do not attain 30 MPG, something else is the problem. If you do attain 30 MPG (at least), your overall driving skills need improvement, you are not calculating properly or you are not using the electronic gages correctly.

Good luck....

Quick Reply: Poor economy