Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

what grade of gas is everyone running?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Greybeard can you confirm, did that sticker come with your Trifecta tune?
Old 09-23-2016, 11:28 AM
Technical Moderator

To be succinct; 91 Octane is recommended for untuned 2.4L. 91 Octane is required for a tuned 2.4L.

Since yours has a sticker stating required, it has been tuned. If you can track down the PO's old posts you might be able to figure out what was done. I tried, but I don't remember how he spelled his screen name.

On the menu bar at the top of any page click on "members" (not hover) then look for the "search members" window (it is a bit hidden).
Old 09-23-2016, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Greybeard can you confirm, did that sticker come with your Trifecta tune?
No I didn't get that sticker... Vince was shooting for 93 octane anyways with mine. I know it's not OEM though.

I don't recall what tune I had read about that came with that or something similar.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:34 PM

i contacted the dealer to ask him to ask the PO because he said he knew him real well. so i just have to wait. i got the owners book out to write down the date and mileage down when we got it and found out that the PO had changed the cabin filter and air filter about 10,000 mile ago. and he wrote down that the air filter was a K&N. how do i take off the cover to get the air filter to just verify that? thanks
Old 09-23-2016, 08:30 PM
Administrator

The cabin air filter is behind the glove box door above the glove box there is a plastic door to pop open , I have the washable K&N cabin air filter it's nice to be able to wash it out anytime, I feel like it!
The engine air filter , well here's a video

Old 09-24-2016, 07:46 AM
Technical Moderator

Have you read your Owner Manual? You seem to have a lot of questions that are answered in it.

I found this with "air filter" in the search box https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/%22h...ght=air+filter
I'm pretty sure somebody has posted a how-to on the air filter, too. You might want to explore the site, you can't break anything by pushing buttons on your mouse.

Once again, I point to the link in my sig.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...-manual-3074/?

After I posted this I made a How-To sticky in the how-to forum. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...-filter-57663/

Last edited by donbrew; 09-25-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:16 AM

If you have the 2.4 just run 91 and above. They like it better.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:26 PM

If it says use it,, I would. The 2009 2LT nowhere recommended 91 octane for my 2.4L. The fuel cap says E-85, and has a label on the door that says "DO NOT USE ANY ADDITIVES WITH E-85 FUEL"

The owners manual says for vehicles with the 2.4L engine vin code V, 87 octane or higher is recommended. It also states if using fuel with a lower rating than 87 and you encounter spark knock quit using it and go to a higher octane.

I have a 28 mpg average fer 3000 miles all since November,,, I'll keep running 87 octane in my 2LT 2.4L. But if I I had a sticker, or an owners manual that suggested 91,, I would never use anything less. It might be worth having the computer flashed at the dealer, and go back to stock settings, then you know what the you have,, I wouldn't like not knowing what I am driving!
Old 02-10-2017, 05:46 AM

As per your 2009's Manual...
"If the vehicle has the 2.4L L4 engine (VIN Code V) or
the 2.0L L4 engine (VIN Code X), use premium unleaded
gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher.
You can also use regular unleaded gasoline rated at
87 octane or higher, but the vehicle’s acceleration could
be slightly reduced, and you might notice a slight audible
knocking noise, commonly referred to as spark knock.
If the octane is less than 87, you might notice a heavy
knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use a
gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible.
Otherwise, you could damage the engine. If you are using
gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher and you hear heavy
knocking, the engine needs service."
Old 02-10-2017, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by aradmahogany
As per your 2009's Manual...
"If the vehicle has the 2.4L L4 engine (VIN Code V) or
the 2.0L L4 engine (VIN Code X), use premium unleaded
gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher.
You can also use regular unleaded gasoline rated at
87 octane or higher, but the vehicle’s acceleration could
be slightly reduced, and you might notice a slight audible
knocking noise, commonly referred to as spark knock.
If the octane is less than 87, you might notice a heavy
knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use a
gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible.
Otherwise, you could damage the engine. If you are using
gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher and you hear heavy
knocking, the engine needs service."
Like I said in my manual, the 2.4L engine never mentions the use of Premium. My manual DOES RECOMMEND REGULAR 87 OCTANE,,, 5-5 in my owners manual, NOWHERE does it recommend 91 octane in the 2.4L engine! This is a copy of that actual page.

If this is wrong, maybe we all should think about the owners manual and have the aptitude or skills to know what their vehicle should have or needs.
I say this with 62 years servicing my own trucks and cars, from diesel to gas, and propane, from street to track when I was at that stage.

I can assure you I have never felt underpowered or experienced a lack of power on take off or at highway speeds passing,,,, but I always use top tier gasoline from Sunoco or Marathon and usually from a local station with modern tanks and high fuel sales, so it always fresh.

There are a lot of things not printed in a manual that goes into why they have minimum requirement,, obviously higher octane won't hurt, but in my cars case with 30,000 miles on it, I can see no advantage running it, in mileage or performance!

Like I said, I would never recommend using less than posted in a manual, or a modified warning on a used car when you don't know why it was put their!

Quick Reply: what grade of gas is everyone running?