General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Remote Start distance ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 04:24 PM

Remote Start distance ?

I tested my remote start a couple times in the last month and it worked fine from inside my work.
Today we got 6" of snow and when I really needed it to work it would not work until I was about 40 feet away.there was a truck parked in front of it and there was about 2" of snow on the car.
The battery is about 3 months old.
How far should the remote work?
I have had it work at 150 feet before
Is there a way to make it work better in the snow or a way to boost it to work further?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

It has worked for me from about 200 ft. The farthest parking space from the front door of Home Depot, for example.

One time, I was bragging about the auto start worth in really hot weather. We were a really long distance from the car, level area, no obstacles. The friends and I continued walking to my HHR as I continually pressed the start sequence. Again, around 200 feet.

Can't say about the effectiveness in snow.....NEVER been in it. But I would venture to say piled snow on the car could provide some interference.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:40 PM

Thanks snoopy
Sounds like mine is working fine since it works well with out the snow
I can maybe try aNother new battery.
I see you are In mesa AZ when I visited my brother in law in Gilbert az back in
09 it was beautiful out there .
The remote start that I M having installed on my wife's suv will be 1500 feet plus it tells on the key fob
If it is locked and or started.that would be nice on the hhr but being factory installed is nice
I guess I was just hoping there was some trick to making the signal stronger.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by bigjacksauto
Is there a way to make it work better in the snow ?
oh. come on! quit being so spoiled with today's modern gadgetry!
Get your boots on and your robe, and walk out and put the key in the ignition and start the thing! It's not the end of the world.

sheesh!

Ok...just kidding...that's what people who drive 1974 Country Squire wagons with 351 Clevelands in them would say! the old "I used to walk 3 miles to school in 2 feet of snow, up hill"!

My 06 seems to work from approx. 150 feet away. to be honest, I have never been in a situation where I needed to test it from further away.

as far as making it work better in the snow, all I can say is, park closer!
Old 01-13-2012, 09:37 PM

You can get a 2-way advanced remote for the HHR from Chevy that has an LCD and further range. I upgrade mine to it and love it.

Thanks snoopy
Sounds like mine is working fine since it works well with out the snow
I can maybe try aNother new battery.
I see you are In mesa AZ when I visited my brother in law in Gilbert az back in
09 it was beautiful out there .
The remote start that I M having installed on my wife's suv will be 1500 feet plus it tells on the key fob
If it is locked and or started.that would be nice on the hhr but being factory installed is nice
I guess I was just hoping there was some trick to making the signal stronger.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

"there was a truck parked in front of it"

the truck could have blocked the signal as well..
Old 01-13-2012, 11:08 PM

Sleeper
Ya I am thinking that the truck had something to do with it along with the Snow on the car and the fact that it was snowing a little on the heavy side.

Smoke wagon

I did put my robe on LOL where I work if you put a key in it and start it you may not have a car there when you get back.Kind of one of the perks to having remote start not to mention its illegal in our city to start a vehicle and leave it running unattended, yes they give out tickets for that.
Its been a light winter for us until this storm so far this season.Now it looks like its coming all at once, should have close to a foot on the ground from this storm by morning.
We usually get about 130" plus a year up my way.
I guess you would have to experience our 3" plus of snow per hour lake effect snow events with 40 mph winds,whiteout conditions and sub zero wind chills up our away to appreciate the importance of these remotes working.
Then again if I was in Windsor Ca I may not even need a robe as you mentioned to walk out and start my car so you may be on to something there LOL.

Celblazer
how much extra does the 2 way advanced remote from the dealer cost?
Around here the dealers just bring the customers vehicles to a local shop that installs them.
This shopped booked about 80 remote installs in the first half an hour of being open The day after Christmas.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:12 PM

The kit is pretty cheap, Not sure if this is the right part number but my system looks the same Linky

But I don't remember what the install was.

Sleeper
Ya I am thinking that the truck had something to do with it along with the Snow on the car and the fact that it was snowing a little on the heavy side.

Smoke wagon

I did put my robe on LOL where I work if you put a key in it and start it you may not have a car there when you get back.Kind of one of the perks to having remote start not to mention its illegal in our city to start a vehicle and leave it running unattended, yes they give out tickets for that.
Its been a light winter for us until this storm so far this season.Now it looks like its coming all at once, should have close to a foot on the ground from this storm by morning.
We usually get about 130" plus a year up my way.
I guess you would have to experience our 3" plus of snow per hour lake effect snow events with 40 mph winds,whiteout conditions and sub zero wind chills up our away to appreciate the importance of these remotes working.
Then again if I was in Windsor Ca I may not even need a robe as you mentioned to walk out and start my car so you may be on to something there LOL.

Celblazer
how much extra does the 2 way advanced remote from the dealer cost?
Around here the dealers just bring the customers vehicles to a local shop that installs them.
This shopped booked about 80 remote installs in the first half an hour of being open The day after Christmas.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:15 AM

Thanks
Looks like it is about $300.00 installed?
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...dvanced+remote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:20 AM

Brick walls have no effect nor does the snow.

I would say a truck or some odd side effect of what was parked near you at best. Also batteries can go bad.

Mine word from up 3 floors up and through glass and even several brick walls at a range of 200 plus yards.

I had read to get the best range GM remotes should be pointed as the signal comes from the bottom.

Quick Reply: Remote Start distance ?