General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

1st snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:18 PM

1st snow

My 1st drive in 8 inches of snow. Un plowed road. Upstate N.Y.

Our 1st front wheel drive / and when the front tires spin you have no idea where the vehicle is headed. It just goes where it wants. Turn left and it might go right. I think a lot of it is the very low ground clearance.
However it does the same on ice.
The lil spoiler or lip under the front bumper is already half broken off.
The tires are new Bridgestone Pantenzas [spell?]

Maybe we will get use to it?

My wife likes the lil bus so it looks like a keeper.

You might call us rednecks we have always had pickup trucks.
Herse 2X4 mine 4X4s

take care KK4
Old 01-19-2012, 10:35 PM

Most people who have had snow tires swear by them. Maybe that would be worth looking into if you haven't already. Firestone Winterforce, Bridgestone Blizzaks, etc. I never have had snow tires because I usually can make it around just fine with All-season tires. I may look into getting some snow tires next winter though. If you've never had a FWD vehicle before, it's probably just going to take some getting used to. The HHR is decent in the snow, but it's certainly not a 4 wheel drive. I guess you just have to adjust your habits, you know?
Old 01-19-2012, 11:02 PM

The week of Friday the 13th I was in northwest Wisconsin visiting my sister and applying for jobs.

When we left Illinois it was a decent 56 degrees out, when we got to Wisconsin about 6 hours later it was just a shade before midnight but still 16 degrees above zero.

The next day it was downright cold and windy the high for the day was around 7 above, the next day it got up above 50 again.

Of course Thursday a cold front ambled through and it snowed about 3 inches but it was so windy you had to take the weatherman’s word for the accumulation. My sister front yard and driveway were bare but there was a 4 foot drift against the garage door.

We left there about 19 am, the thermometer in the car read 13 degrees almost all the way home.

We actually had more snow on the ground down here but they did not have the strong wind like we had up north.

The HHR did fine on the trip even with the patchy slippery spots on the highway. Of course I grew up driving on northwest Wisconsin roads so I’m not stupid enough to even try to use cruise control if it might be slippery at all.

I’m pretty sure that causes a lot of accidents on wet and otherwise slippery roads.

We have had front wheel drive cars since we bought or ‘86 Caviler. I remember hearing all manner of horror stories from folks who evidently had never driven a front wheel drive car about how hard they are to control on slippery roads.

Neither my wife nor I have ever had a real problem controlling our front wheel drive buggies. Now,… my daughter has problems driving anything in the snow, or the rain, or a clear dry paved road on a sunny day, or in the dark,….
Old 01-20-2012, 08:33 PM

We have not had much snow around here in a while. The last one we had we were out in my wife's HHR and it did fine. I have had at least one front wheel drive car ever since I bought a 74 Audi Fox. I had one befor that (until it wiped a rod bearing) a M G 1100 sedan. With front wheel drive and some common sense I found I could go about anywhere I wanted to anytime I wanted to.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:08 PM

If you can afford it, get a set of snow tires. They really helped my hhr in the snow. I bought a set of 4 general altimax snow tires for around $400 mounted and balanced. They work great and allow me to run a steady 45-50 mph (depending on traffic) on the highway even when untreated. The car is very stable with very little wheel slip at all. Corners and stops very well too. This is my second season with them and I will not go without them again.