General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

2006 HHR.....any problems the first year?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 12:21 AM

2006 HHR.....any problems the first year?

Hey 2006 HHR owners, how have they treated you?

Any major probs. being the first model year?

1 owner 06 LT SE 2.2 w/ 50k miles for $8,000 a good deal?....or will small problems plague and break me?

Anybody know if the eco-motors are any better on the newer models?

I know they moved the window controls "finally", but has anything else been upgraded with HHR's?
Old 09-24-2010, 02:10 AM

I don't know anything specifically about the 2006 HHR, but the HHR in general hasn't changed too much. I think the newer models come with OnStar standard (I could be wrong). I know that Anti-lock brakes and Traction Control became standard on all models for 2009. Before that, I believe it only came standard on the 2LT's. Not sure what a Spring Edition is considered... I think there are also a few minor changes to the cup holders and the shifter. Nothing too big... That HHR you're talking about sounds like a very good deal, but I don't personally have any experience with 2006's so I couldn't say anything about first-year problems. I'm sure someone else will chime in and help you out. There's a lot of great people here on the forum. I would suggest taking it to a local mechanic/garage for an inspection before you buy it. That's what I did with my 2007 HHR and I'm glad I did. The mechanic found that the O2/oxygen sensor needed to be replaced, so I told the dealership about that, and they fixed it, then I bought it. Saved me at least $300. Good luck with that HHR, hope everything works out good for you!!
Old 09-24-2010, 04:09 AM

There are a few posts on here about problems with 06 models being the first year of production, the noteable ones are electrical and water leaks. Those should be easy to see on a test drive though.
That being said, I think 7000 is a decent price for one like that in average condition.
The spring edition are pretty nice, I think they are all red with chrome accents and a graphic stripe.
The motors are arguably the best part of these vehicles and were overengineered by GM to last. I just wish the rest of the car was as well put together. Expect some minor rattles and knocks from the chassis on an 06.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:22 AM

I have an '06 1LT with the 2.2, and so far it's been a very good car. I've had the usually clunks and rattles, but I do have a sunroof so that rattles a bit, and the front end, well that's prone to any HHR. Mechanically, it's a great car. I've got just shy of 50k miles on mine as well. Sounds to me like that's a good deal.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:05 AM

Front strut mounts and sway bar end links fail often. Aftermarket or replacements fix this problem.

Heater core to firewall leaked from the factory, and there is a recall for it.

Insure the fuses in the engine bay are fully seated into the fuse block. From the factory they are only about halfway pushed in.

I have 60,000+ and there are now some rattles in the back, and it seems to be an 05-06 issue.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:54 AM

Thumbs up no problems w/ my '06

My '06 2LT has been GREAT. Owned it for over 4 years since new, 46,000 miles & no major issues. I LOVE IT. Plan to keep it for at least 4 more years
Old 09-24-2010, 01:01 PM

My 06 1LT 2.4L has been trouble free. Key stuck in ignition, fixed under warrenty. New tires at 53K miles, new shocks and struts at 73K miles. I still have the original brakes. I have averaged 30+ mpg with the car. (old man driving techniques). I also do a lot of highway driving.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:49 PM
jx3

With 50K on the odo, any problems had already surfaced and been taken care of. I had my 06 for 5 years, put nearly 60K on it. No problems after 40K.

Originally Posted by -md- HHR
Insure the fuses in the engine bay are fully seated into the fuse block. From the factory they are only about halfway pushed in.
I used to subscribe to this myth, but never checked any of the fuses after 2nd oil change at 10K. The box lid has padding in it that will prevent any fuses from coming loose. Those that say they had problems and reseated the fuses didn't realize that just by moving the fuse box a tiny bit corrected the real problem, which is the connection under the fuse box.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:29 PM

Thanks ALL......Yeah it's a one owner spring edition and it's mint, so i'm hoping well cared for!!.....must be better than the x-rentals i've been looking at!!

Has a real sharp 2-tone interior which appears mint too

I'll call in the morning and go look if it's still avail.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:33 PM

Nothing wrong with rentals in my opinion. My Lumina was a rental when it was new, and it's still running strong.

Quick Reply: 2006 HHR.....any problems the first year?