General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

AC: question regarding fuel consumption

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 06:40 AM

AC: question regarding fuel consumption

Just curious regarding the AC's fuel consumption:

- When showing the current fuel economy in the DIC (MPG INST) and the AC is running, does the display show the fuel consumption including what the AC uses or is the consumption display only dependant on the accelerator pedal's position (or other parameters)?

- Does the AC/compressor always run under full load? For example, when the temperature control knob is not turned completely to the left side (maybe only somewhere in the middle of the blue bar), does the AC run under full load and warm air is blended in or does the AC "work" less?

I hope my questions are somewhat clear :-)
Old 07-21-2014, 07:38 AM
Technical Moderator

The A/C works off of the engine, not a separate energy source. The INST is a pretty useless item for normal purposes, best to not even know It's there.

The compressor is engaged at all times when the A/C has been turned on, either with the button or with the defrost or with the recirc.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The A/C works off of the engine, not a separate energy source. The INST is a pretty useless item for normal purposes, best to not even know It's there.

The compressor is engaged at all times when the A/C has been turned on, either with the button or with the defrost or with the recirc.
The only thing I could add to the above, is, any additional load on the engine will have some effect on fuel economy. With the AC compressor, the blend door position will have no effect on how much engine load the compressor adds, but the outside air temperature will. The higher the outside temps are, the harder that AC compressor will have to work, and the higher the fuel economy impact will be.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:33 PM
Premium Member

Guess I should have turned it off to auto cross....but I was so comfortable....
Old 07-22-2014, 02:52 AM

Many thanks for your replies!