General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Alarm Issue, Goes off when I Open The Driver Door

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 04:52 PM
Banned

Alarm Issue, Goes off when I Open The Driver Door

Don't give a **** anymore, close this thread too!

Last edited by 06HHRDUDE; 11-01-2016 at 04:29 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:41 PM
Technical Moderator

Your Owner Manual explains the Vehicle Content Theft-Deterrent system on page 2-16.

Your noise description sounds like a cracked flex pipe.

Here is part of what the manual says, I couldn't fit the part about using the key to unlock.
Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2016, 08:52 PM
Banned

Yeah, no kidding, but when you put the key in the door to unlock the door, the alarm should not go
off. I lock the doors, and get out, and close the door. I see the alarm/lock flash on the dash.
I put the key in the door to unlock, the alarm indicator stays on, I open the door, and alarm sounds.
I do not have a KeyFob, just transponder keys. The alarm is immediate upon opening the driver
door when unlocked the with the key, when the system is armed.

I read the user manual, all it says is with the doors closed, lock all the doors. Then pull up the lock
knob on the driver door, open it, push back down on the knob, and close the door. This also means
the alarm is not armed, which I don't really care, and this procedure does work. I can unlock the
door and open it without the horn blasting...

HOWEVER, it's not supposed to set alarm the off when you unlock the door with the key to open it with
the system armed. My Silverado works just fine, this does not. When my truck is armed, I unlock
the door with the key, open it up, no alarm, and the light goes off when I unlock with the key. The
HHR, the light stays on when I unlock it with the key. I don't think that is right. I have a Viper
system I plan to install anyway...

As far as the noise, it only happens in gear, the car was just inspected and would not pass with
a bad flex-pipe. It's a rattling noise under acceleration, in gear. Out of gear, coasting, no noise, and
the motor doesn't make any noise, idle or revving it. I was told long ago that's the sign of a
throw-out bearing going bad. It just seems like there's an actual big hole in the floor, I mean, you can
hear it clearly.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:53 PM
Administrator

For the noise check the air filter housing support bracket.
Also the heat shield over the exhaust manifold.
Up here our emissions test simply checks for engine codes, so if no code from the flex pipe being cracked the it would pass emissions, I drove mine for 600 miles and the code didn't show up till I stopped for fuel , on a trip to Florida a few years ago.

It is plausible that the key isn't codes properly to the HHR, when the ignition recall was done.
The wrong chip and it will set the alarm off, and so will a weak battery.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Oldblue
For the noise check the air filter housing support bracket.
Also the heat shield over the exhaust manifold.
Up here our emissions test simply checks for engine codes, so if no code from the flex pipe being cracked the it would pass emissions, I drove mine for 600 miles and the code didn't show up till I stopped for fuel , on a trip to Florida a few years ago.

It is plausible that the key isn't codes properly to the HHR, when the ignition recall was done.
The wrong chip and it will set the alarm off, and so will a weak battery.
We also have inspection, and they check for exhaust leaks, EVERYWHERE.
It was JUST inspected, and emissioned. It just makes one hell of a racket,
like there is a hole in the floor where the pedals are.

Battery was also replaced, I have all the paperwork of the repairs done at the local
Midas shop where the guy lives. He just got it inspected and emissioned, so they
put an 11/17 sticker on it, since it's near the end of October.

If the IMMO was not set up right for the keys, then it would not start. Both keys
start the car, just doesn't turn off the alarm in the door lock when unlocking.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:31 AM

Check the sticker on the inside of the door for the passenger glove box. If it doesn't show the RPO code for remote keyless entry, then your vehicle did not come equipped with content theft deterrent. I believe the code is AP3.

If AP3 is not on the sticker, then you have an aftermarket alarm system. This would explain why you have no fob, and also explain the strange functionality of your alarm system. What you have described does not match with how the owners manual explains operation of the content theft deterrent system.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Check the sticker on the inside of the door for the passenger glove box. If it doesn't show the RPO code for remote keyless entry, then your vehicle did not come equipped with content theft deterrent. I believe the code is AP3.

If AP3 is not on the sticker, then you have an aftermarket alarm system. This would explain why you have no fob, and also explain the strange functionality of your alarm system. What you have described does not match with how the owners manual explains operation of the content theft deterrent system.
That's not it at all, it's a factory system just like my Silverado has, if you read what
I said, you'd know that. I do not have a FOB for my silverado either, but it has an
anti-theft system with a horn alarm. IT works right, this one does not. There is no RPO
code for the Silverado either. You do not need a FOB to have an anti-theft, or a basic
alarm. I won't even entertain that reply... I know how stuff is supposed to work, I
installed alarm systems. There is no aftermarket alarm, on this, or my Silverado,
yet the Silverado functions as it's supposed to. IT also has no FOB.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:32 AM

Copied and pasted from 2006 owners manual: Your vehicle may have a
content theft-deterrent
alarm system. If your
vehicle has remote keyless
entry, then it has content
theft-deterrent.

But if you don't want to do something as simple as looking at a sticker in the glovebox, but want to continue arguing every suggestion made, you may find that no one wants to help anymore. Good day, I hope you find the problem.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:59 AM
Platinum Member

I've read many posts over the years from members asking "Why does my HHR's alarm go off when I unlock the door with the key ?"

Simple answer is , that's just the dumb way that GM set it up at the factory.
Your Silverado may work differently but the fact remains that the HHR was just set up a different way by the engineers.
Based on your description, sounds like your's is working as designed.

If your's is AP3 optioned, then get a remote key fob and your problem should be solved.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
I've read many posts over the years from members asking "Why does my HHR's alarm go off when I unlock the door with the key ?"

Simple answer is , that's just the dumb way that GM set it up at the factory.
Your Silverado may work differently but the fact remains that the HHR was just set up a different way by the engineers.
Based on your description, sounds like your's is working as designed.

If your's is AP3 optioned, then get a remote key fob and your problem should be solved.
That is kind of dumb...

I got the Build sheet from GM and AP3 is not in the list.
14B - GRAY CLOTH
14I - GRAY INTERIOR TRIM
1LS - LS PACKAGE
1SZ - OPTION PKG DISCOUNT
42U - DARK SILVER METALLIC
6AE - FRONT SPRING
7AE - FRONT SPRING
AR9 - FRONT BUCKET SEATS,DELUXE
AXP - MPV VIN IDENT POSITION
C2Y - GVW RATING 4,240 LBS
C67 - AIR CONDITIONING
D22 - MIRROR,O/S ELECT REMOTE CNTRL
FE1 - SUSPENSION SYSTEM-SOFT RIDE
FR8 - AXLE RATIO 4.17
IPB - TRIM INTERIOR DESIGN (PB)
J41 - PWR BRAKE SYSTEM
L61 - 2.2L DOHC 4V ECOTEC
M86 - 5-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION
MM5 - 5-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION
N24 - STEERING WHEEL, 3 SPOKE
NE1 - 50-STATE EMISSIONS
NU1 - CA EMISSION SYSTEM LEV 2
QB5 - 16" X 6.5" WHEELS
QDB - TIRE, P215/55R16-91S BW ST AL2
R6P - PREMIUM PAINT
R8K - ******************************* (SALES ITEM #61)
SAL - RAMOS ARIZPE, MEXICO PLANT CODE
SLM - STOCK ORDERS
U1C - AM/FM STEREO RADIO/COMPACT DISC
UW5 - 6 SPEAKER SYSTEM
V73 - STATEMENT OF VEHICLE CERT.-U.S. /CANADA
VK3 - FRONT LICENSE PLATE MOUNT

So no...

I have a Viper alarm system w/remote start, will have that installed and let them
figure it out.

Quick Reply: Alarm Issue, Goes off when I Open The Driver Door