General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

And another one bites the dust

Old 03-22-2015, 02:38 PM

And another one bites the dust

Coming home from work last Friday. Was in a right turn land and someone in a 09 Silverado made a left turn in front of me. I caught his right front corner, so he had no business trying to make the turn. Will find out more this week, but pretty sure she's totaled. Driver was sited at fault. Radiator and supports pushed back, airbag deployed.

Name:  totaled.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  117.1 KB
Old 03-22-2015, 03:42 PM

Oh man. Sorry about your ride. Glad you are o.k.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:15 PM
Technical Moderator

IF there is no frame damage and you are not afraid of a wrench, I see a profit.

The insurance company will pay you full RETAIL for the parts + labor. I know that Gmpartsoutlet.net sells for lots less than you local dealer an shipping is like $8.95 per order. Airbags are not scary! However a visit to a dealer may be required for setting up the new airbag controller. The insurance adjuster will give you a parts list.

When my side curtain airbags deployed I ended up making a $2000 profit for less than one days work. The only problem I had was the incompetent GM Tech that didn't know how to do the programming, but he ended up on the phone with tech support only took 3 hours to do a 30 minute job.

New radiator support is just a weld in job.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:37 PM
Administrator

So sorry for all that damage, but try Don's idea, or see if the insurance will get you a new HHR and buy back the damaged one for parts!
Old 03-22-2015, 05:00 PM

I gets dropped off at the dealership tomorrow so this is just the beginning of everything. I've also got to visit the Dr tomorrow to get checked out. My left hand still has some pain, though for the life of me I can't figure out why. I'm guessing since it was at 12 o'clock on the wheel, the air bag got it. One thing that surprised me is, the passenger seatbelt fully locked so hard, it blew the cover off completely, and no one was sitting there.

One thing I though was good was, after the impact I realized I pushed the clutch in along with the brake, but the car was not running. The air bag deployed light lit up on the dash and the 4 way flashers automatically turn on. The dash button was still off. After the police arrived, I moved it off the road and the flashers turned off by themselves. Good safety features.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:22 PM
Technical Moderator

The seatbelt always lock up like that. The MUST be replaced along with the impact sensors and the SDM that's what needs reprogramming. All of the parts oddly enough cost about $420 each.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:01 PM

That sucks, sorry about your ride. Luckily everyone is alright!
Old 03-22-2015, 11:34 PM
Deceased

Gee solman, so sorry that your ride got crunched by a moron, but sore wrist set aside for the moment...you're OK, and that's the most important thing.

Make sure to get copies of your medical exam reports for yourself and your insurance company, since the other driver was found to be at fault, and received a citation to that effect. He's liable not only for your wrecked vehicle, but your medical expenses and time lost from work.

At this point, his carrier should be contacting you tomorrow at the latest.

Do not agree to anything until you have discussed things with a representative from your insurance company, or an attorney representing you.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:32 AM
Platinum Member

Nasty stuff - glad it wasn't more serious.

Hope it gets fixed ok, we'd sure hate to lose you and your HHR on the forum here. You are one of the "original" old-timers here.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:17 AM

Glad to hear your ok. Wish you were closer I'd buy your wheels

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: And another one bites the dust