General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Auto Trans. Shift Position Display Lamp ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:18 PM

reelhhr09,

I would have to agree with Silverfox about the lighting of the transmission selector.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-08-2011, 05:50 PM

The dome light is what illuminates it.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:56 PM

I remember reading another thread sometime ago about the same issue. One poster wanted the gearshift positions displayed on the Instrument Panel. I think that would have been a good feature for GM to have done. Saves looking down and taking your eyes off the road.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by 1970judge
The dome light is what illuminates it.
Not sure what you mean.

The only time the indicator light is on is when the headlights/parkinglights are turned on.
That means you would have to drive around during the day with your lights on just so you could see the indicator better.

How does the dome light affect the shift indicator during the daytime?

Why shouldn't the car be wired so the indicator light is always on when the key is turned on? Simple !!

P.S. I agree with Sno White on .. it should be on the dash instrument panel for safety sake.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

Kind of a thread Hi jack.........

Curious, how would the dash location shift indicator contribute to safety??? I'm thinking, you need not see the road when shifting from Park to Drive....or for that matter Park to Reverse. And shifting from Neutral to Drive is just a slight "nudge".....same for "I" drive.

Now if your speaking about window controls, cigar lighter, rear wiper and heated seats control, I see your point.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:44 PM

Gee, where to start?

Some people/drivers just what to confirm what they think they have done and “need” to look to verify. Those that are more in tune with their vehicles may not. It is all up to the individual.

Plus:
1) Older drivers eyes do not adjust from near to far objects as readily as younger eyes.
2) A head movement up and down to verify one has done what they think they have done.
3) This movement involves a rotation of the head as well.
4) Combine the above two motions into one and it adds complexity as well as a possible source of vertigo to those who are sensitive. Pilots get vertigo training in a special chair to help them to know what to expect.

The above is mostly concerned with old drivers and I don’t see too many young people in this vehicle type (HHR).

My opinion is it would just be nice to have as much information on the dash as possible. I really did not think about it in this vehicle(HHR) until it was mentioned by someone else. Then I realized that all my other auto transmission vehicles had the display on the instrument panel.
Yes, they were F.O.R.D.s
Old 06-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Deceased

Never noticed it, I just count the notches back into Drive, never even look at the shifter..no need really.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:23 AM

light

Would it be possible to put a LED in the shift console that was always on when the ignition is on. I had some under dash LED`S that worked really well that were wired to come on when the door was opened. Maybe that would work. I never had the shiftier apart on an HHR to know if that would work. The LED`s were really bright and did not get hot.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Yes it would be possible, the bulb number is #37 it is a tiny wee wheat germ bulb

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...t-46193/page4/
Old 06-04-2016, 09:07 PM

Smile Indicator light automatic trans

I have been doing some thinking on the indicator light. The position that you most likely want is drive. Have not seen the shift linkage just below the shift knob. But maybe you could mount a micro switch to come into contact with the linkage when it is in drive. The switch would control a small light that you could mount any where, on the console or maybe on the dash. It would only come on when you were in drive. May have to go to a junk yard to see what the linkage looks like. Any thoughts. Thanks Lynn

Quick Reply: Auto Trans. Shift Position Display Lamp ??