General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Battery Maintainer

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 04:03 PM

Battery Maintainer

Hello all. Was wondering if anybody is currently using a battery maintainer for their HHR? I was thinking of getting one to keep the battery at full power.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:09 PM
Deceased

I have two of these Tyler, they aren't Cadillacs, they don't have lots of bells and whistles, but they do the job.

AutoCraft 1.5 Amp Battery Charger/Maintainer SEM-1562A: Advance Auto Parts
Old 11-21-2014, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

I have a couple of Deltran Battery Tenders. Take a look at them. they are the top of the line according to Consumer Reports and a couple of Auto "rags".
Old 11-21-2014, 05:16 PM
Technical Moderator

But, are they really different than the Harbor Freight units for $12 or so? I use mine for the lawn mower and for a short time my HHR when the battery was proving itself bad.

Final proof of the bad battery was left maintainer on overnight measured 12.1V in the morning.

I would not recommend leaving it connected for weeks.
I had one hooked to my lawnmower last winter in the shed. When I went to start it up it was completely drained! The plastic box was full of water, from condensation I assume, that shorted everything.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:46 PM

Thumbs up Battery tender

I had to jump start my lawnmower early this spring. After I ran it about 1/2 hour, it barely turned over. I bought a Harbor Freight battery tender, hooked it up and two weeks later it turned over just like a new battery. I just tried it, and after a month of sitting, it still turns over like new. It sits outside with a just a cover on it.
Sure beats pulling the car over to it each time I need it!!!

Mo
Old 11-21-2014, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

The Harbor Freight models will maintain a fully charged batter, of 12.5+ volts. But they are not programmed to reach the 14+ volts of the Deltran and they can stay connected endlessly, because of the programming. They are a true maintainer.

Again, go to their web site and read the difference. That 14 + volts in the 3rd stage, I believe, is the difference. Read, my friend, read.

Just my experience.....I installed the Harbor Freight on my Vette battery at 12.5. When I returned 6 weeks later, the battery was dead. Had to get a new one. Been using the Deltran ever since. Mostly because of recommendations from other owners.

So, occasionally I check the voltage in all the batteries with a multimeter and when they reach 12.5 or so, I install the Deltran. I just checked my HHR and the Vette and they are 12.86 and 12.79 respectively. My 2 cars sit for 4-6 days without use most of the time. Seems to work for me. The truck sits sometimes for 2 weeks before use......just used it about 3 hours ago for the first time in that mentioned time period. Started without any hesitation. That battery, a Delco, is 8 years old. Last I checked, about 8 hours after a full cycle charge it was at 12.89.

Wife's SPX is used dailey but I still, about once a month, put it through the full cycle of the Deltran.

Again, just my opinion and experience (plus many others). It is the most recommended maintainer on the Corvette forum. Especially with owners who store their car for 6-8 months.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:19 PM

We have a Deltran maintainer on the GTO and Schumacher SEM1562A maintainer on the Mercedes. I've had the Schumacher seemingly forever and the Deltran for a couple of years. Both do the job.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

You know, you just made me think......

I have a Schumacher 10amp charger on a shelf, in the original box (which is really dog-eared and dried out), and the original instruction book. Had it for 30 years.

Haven't used it probably in 10-15 years. Changed to the electronic type and never went back. A few are the Harbor Freight models of maintainers and chargers.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:46 AM
geg

I have a 10 amp charger too.
I charged my batterys twice. First regular battery Acdelko, second time battery of Tyumen production - no problem.
time required - 1 night. Both batteries I charged from scratch. Simply be removed from the car, brought into the apartment and put in the bath (if it explodes, in the books they write that this happens sometimes). In the morning montage on the car and the engine starts cheerfully.
My charger I use about 8 years. During this time, more than once helped my friends. A couple of times my wife's Ford revived.
Charger - definitely necessary thing in the home. Trouble-free, because there is nothing to break. Dry your charger and use it, you will be satisfied.
I would love to name my charger, but I fear that it is meaningless. It's Russian, not sale in America.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:54 AM

A 10 amp charger is just that; a charger. This thread is about maintainers which can be left on a battery indefinitely. They are generally no more than 1.5 amp and I've seen some as low as .5 amp. They have a feature that allows them the 'float' once the reach the desired voltage, maintaining that level (hence the term) until unplugged. If you leave a regular charger on a battery it will eventually cause damage. For actual charging , which maintainers aren't designed for, I use a Solar 480 6/12 volt battery charger/booster which I've also had forever. For helping friends/family I use a portable booster.

Quick Reply: Battery Maintainer