General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Brakelights

Old 06-10-2016, 06:22 PM

Angry Brakelights

I am having a problem with my brake lights. They come on as I am driving and sometimes they go off and sometimes they don't. when this happens, my cruise control doesn't work because the system thinks the brakes are on. When I step on my brakes while this is happening, my brake lights go out and no one knows that I have my brakes on and just about get rear ended a few times. I have had the brake light switch replaced about 5 times. No one came seem to figure out the problem. Also . my dash tells me "check Gas Cap" when nothing is wrong with it Had a part replaced underneath in back. Some type of switch maybe? Cannot remember what its called. Any ideas what could be causing these problems or if they may be related?

Last edited by redhhr2009; 06-10-2016 at 06:24 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 06-10-2016, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, brake pedal switch position out of whack , ground wires, found this for you in the search window

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...-lights-40728/

The gas cap issue could be corrosion on the filler neck

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...gas-cap-36056/
Old 06-10-2016, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

I don't understand your statement "had the brake light switch replaced about 5 times".
Did this fix the problem temporarily ? Or, do you just keep replacing them hoping 1 will eventually fix it.

Fwiw. It's called a brake pedal position sensor. It doesn't turn on the brake lights itself. It tells the computer that you've pressed the pedal, which in turn, the computer then activates the brake light circuit.

To me it sounds like you have a wiring issue. I would check the plug end at the brake pedal position sensor. With it having been replaced numerous times, all that unplugging and plugging back up could have damaged the wiring connection.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:28 PM
Technical Moderator

To begin, you need to understand that the "brake switch" is NOT a switch, it is a pedal position sensor that sends a signal to the BCM.

With input from the ECM and the TCM the BCM then commands the brake lights.

The CHMSL has a relay in addition.

If you know how to read a wiring schematic, I can PM you.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:35 AM

brake lights

Thank You all for the help, I would appreciate all I can get so I can show these to my mechanic, GOD Bless you all.

Search this Thread