General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Broken Rear Springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 09:55 AM

Broken Rear Springs

Took my '07 in for New York State inspection yesterday and got a call from the mechanic that both of my rear springs were broken. Has anyone else had this problem?
I don't haul anything heavy in the car. My HHR has 92,000 miles on it, so I went to the GM dealership and they said that the springs were not covered on the 100k powertrain warranty. I ordered new ones for $64 from RockAuto.
While I was at the dealership I scheduled an appointment as at around 25 mph the front tires are really noisy - sounds like wheel bearings again, which would be my 3rd set. I also have a clunking up front that they will check out. This part is covered under warranty.
By the way, my rotors are warped again. UGH.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Deceased

Broken how is my question, actually physically broken and collapsed, or corroded?

Have the tires checked too, it may be them causing the noise.

And how often are the rear brakes adjusted, since they can be the cause of 75-85% of front rotor warping issues.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Technical Moderator

The rear springs are very easy to replace. You just jackstand both sides remove the shocks then apply muscle to push the axle beam down and fight the springs in/out. They will probably be pretty tightly attached to the rubber bumpers.

Since you have to remove the shocks, you might as well install new ones, and at 92K they ARE bad.

I have never heard of any coil spring breaking under normal use.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:28 PM

Yea I cant say I have ever heard of rear springs breaking. But like what was previously mentioned to change the rear springs is a fairly simple task for anyone to do.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by AJochum
Took my '07 in for New York State inspection yesterday and got a call from the mechanic that both of my rear springs were broken. Has anyone else had this problem?
I don't haul anything heavy in the car. My HHR has 92,000 miles on it, so I went to the GM dealership and they said that the springs were not covered on the 100k powertrain warranty. I ordered new ones for $64 from RockAuto.
While I was at the dealership I scheduled an appointment as at around 25 mph the front tires are really noisy - sounds like wheel bearings again, which would be my 3rd set. I also have a clunking up front that they will check out. This part is covered under warranty.
By the way, my rotors are warped again. UGH.
I would be very interested in seeing a photo of these "broken" springs. I might could see one of them breaking, but two is a bit hard to believe.
Please post a picture of the broken ones after you have them replaced.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

Agree with "fireman"....

One maybe.....but 2, is a little hard to believe. Unless of course, you had some VERY radical suspension work done. Like to see photos also.

Anyway, I think you are a first. Don't believe anyone has posted about a busted/broken spring......let alone 2.

And donbrew mentioned about the replacement method. I wanted to add that I had a brake or fuel line (don't remember which it is) that was attached to the rear underbody....slightly right of center. That had to be released from the c-clip to prevent breakage BEFORE the axle is dropped after removing the shocks.

Last edited by Snoopy; 06-02-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:47 PM

Will post photos when they are being installed. I haven't seen them yet, as my mechanic just told me about it, so I ordered them. Good idea on replacing the shocks while it is apart.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

AJochum- Pics would be interesting to see..

If 2 rear springs were indeed broken, you should see/feel & hear many new weird things..

If they were broke it would likely be sitting noticably low & on the bump-stops. & ride like a rock.

Snoopy- that would be the brake line that needs unhooked to allow full hanging of rear axle...
Old 06-02-2012, 11:51 PM
Platinum Member

AJochum- If I knew you needed oem springs, I have like brand new ones, I would have give ya for the cost of shipping..
Old 06-03-2012, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
AJochum- If I knew you needed oem springs, I have like brand new ones, I would have give ya for the cost of shipping..
Never thought of that - how many of our members have spare springs after they went to Goldlines, etc. Gotta use my brain more often...:)

Funny thing - I hear nothing from the rear of the car, nor do I feel anything. This will be interesting...

Quick Reply: Broken Rear Springs