General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Starting problem today

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 02:21 PM

Starting problem today

Today was the first problem with my HHR. I went out at lunch and turned the key, nothing.(the radio came on) but not even a click. I tried 3 times still nothing but the radio. The 4th try it started like normal.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:01 PM

Shifter lever just slightly out of phase?
Old 11-21-2007, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by lordairgtar
Shifter lever just slightly out of phase?
thats what it sounds like to me. Had this happen to me once when I parked on a hill, and didn't apply the p-brake, but that was in another car I owned. Only time it happened in my HHR, I forgot to take it out of drive, DUH ME
Old 11-22-2007, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

You might want to CONSIDER this.....

This information applies to 2006-07 Chevrolet HHR and Pontiac Solstice, and 2007 Saturn SKY. A customer may experience an intermittent -- or extremely intermittent -- crank/no-start condition.

The no-start condition may be caused by a damaged terminal in the fuel pump relay circuit in the Underhood Bused Electrical Center (UBEC).

TIP: Be aware that fuel pressure bleeding down could also cause these symptoms. Follow SI diagnostics to eliminate this condition.

The UBEC consists of several parts. The top portion, where relays plug in is called the upper housing (fig. 8). The various electrical harness connectors plug into the bottom of UBEC into the lower housing.

The condition occurs if the male terminal on the bottom of the UBEC does not squarely enter the female terminal of the wiring harness connector. In some cases, the female terminal is pushed out of the connector and the locking finger is sheared off. In other cases, the female terminal becomes deformed and damaged. Regardless, the connection is not secure, and can easily become intermittent.

Figure 9 shows a damaged terminal in Connector 2 (viewed from top, with electrical center board removed)

Figure 10 shows a terminal pushed out of Connector 2 (viewed from below)

This condition is most likely to affect the fuel pump relay circuit 120, which passes through terminal E2 of Connector 2. When continuity in this circuit becomes intermittent, the fuel pump does not run.

Once the condition is located, replace the damaged components. Terminals for the harness connector are available in your Terminal Repair Kit J-38125-G. The connector with spacer and components for the UBEC are available from Service Parts Operations. If the UBEC terminals are damaged (top or bottom), a new UBEC must be installed.

IMPORTANT: Do not replace the fuel pump relay or fuel pump and sender assembly for this condition. Replacing these components will not resolve the intermittent condition in the UBEC.

This also may be the reason that some people think that pushing their fuses/breakers down cures a problem.