General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Computer Reset Button?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 07:44 AM

Computer Reset Button?

Started my hhr yesterday after work and the "low fuel warning" message came up. The check engine light was also on. When I stopped on my way home and got gas I noticed the gas cap was loose. (Still got 26 mpg - so I don't think someone drained my tank).

My problem is that now the check engine light is still on. I shut off and restarted the hhr about 5 times on the way home (to have the sensor reset). But check engine light remains on.

My question is - Is there a reset button for the computer? (my Camry has one in the glove box). I'm pretty sure it was the loose gas cap that set it off - but I'd like to reset to make sure before taking it to the dealership.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:48 AM
jx3

It may take a few miles for the engine light to reset itself....if it was the gas cap.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:57 AM

There is no reset for clearing DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) which is what the check engine warning light on the dash is.

It will go away after 10 - 20 miles of driving if it was just a loose gas cap.

P.S. Put a locking cap on that puppy.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:01 AM

That happened to me once...I just unhooked the battery for a bit and it cleared it right up. If you do that, just be sure you don't shut the rear hatch completely, or you'll be climbing thru the car like me to hook the battery back up.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:10 AM

My gas cap is lose every time I open the gas door. I thought that was how it was supposed to work. I never get a check engine light.

You can go to Autozone and have them read the code and clear it. If the tank was very low, you probably got some particles in the gas which triggered the check engine light. I try to fill it up at 1/4 a tank.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
My gas cap is lose every time I open the gas door. I thought that was how it was supposed to work.
Someone is loosening it for you. Might want to look into a locking gas cap.

I'm not sure if you can even siphon gas from these cars, but why take a chance?
Old 11-18-2007, 12:03 AM

I have a locking cap more to prevent something from going in than something being taken out.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
My gas cap is lose every time I open the gas door. I thought that was how it was supposed to work. I never get a check engine light.

You can go to Autozone and have them read the code and clear it. If the tank was very low, you probably got some particles in the gas which triggered the check engine light. I try to fill it up at 1/4 a tank.
Right on! NEVER let your gas tank get below a 1/4 full. Fine particles that sit on the bottom of your gas tank can get sucked into the engine. ALSO...

NEVER fill up your tank when the gas truck is filling the underground gas station tanks. Many years ago (back when gas was 47 cents a gallon) I worked at the local service station. The owner told me that when the gas trucks fill up the underground gas tanks, it moves dirt and particles that had settled on the bottom of the underground tank. He said they "fly around" that tank when it's being filled and if you are pumping gas, you add all that "junk" (he used a different word) into your car. He said you should wait at least an hour before pumping gas into your car. (Of course if you pulled into the gas station 30 minutes after the gas truck left, you wouldn't know.)

The other suggestion he made (and he was a master mechanic) is to make sure your gas line filter is clean. He changed his regularly.

In 1968, this guy drove a beat-up 1959 Chevy pick up truck that looked like it had been through a war, but when you popped the hood, oh my gosh! You could eat off the engine it was sooooooo clean. I think he changed the air filter and gas filter every other day! The carborator (you youngins' will have to go to WikiPedia to find out what a carborator is) was shinny inside and out; just beautiful. The engine purred like a happy kitty. It was a V-8 with gorgeous Headers, re-worked exhaust and a couple of other items that I don't remember. Anyway, his whole thing was that "dirt kills engines; ya' gotta' keep 'em clean outside and inside."

He was pretty amazing. He could just listen to an engine and tell you what was wrong with it. But the best thing about him was that he was honest. He would NEVER do any work on a car that wasn't needed. And there were some older widow ladies in the area that he would hardly charge anything to work on their car as they were on a fixed income and couldn't afford much. I remember once he told one of these ladies that nothing was wrong with the car except it needed an oil change... what he didn't tell her was that it also needed head gaskets (which he replaced) and the carborator had to be rebuilt. He never told her about it and never charged her fror the work or parts; he only charged her for the oil change, and that was at a huge discount.

Ok...I'm rambling again. Sorry. Have a great day!!
Old 11-18-2007, 09:29 AM

Cool
Old 11-18-2007, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by MWG2
The other suggestion he made (and he was a master mechanic) is to make sure your gas line filter is clean. He changed his regularly.
Good advice, only one problem doing that with the HHR (or any new GM product for that matter)....the fuel filter is part of the fuel pump...only way to change the fuel filter is to change the fuel pump.

Quick Reply: Computer Reset Button?