General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Coolant Flow direction

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 08:54 AM

Sorry FG didn't intend to give you a headache, it's good to excersise you brain some times.

I've been looking at the parts and based on that observation I believe that flow does go from the T-Stat housing to the center of the of the wp. That would make the t-stat a backwards operating t-stat since the feed line to the t-stat housing comes from the lower-cold section of the radiator.

The T-stat housing itself has two connections that go to the heater core, one from the hot side, the other toe cooler side. Also, there is a small orifice that connects to two sides of the t-stat that I believe is air bleed orifice.

The t-stat cover/housing also has another port on it, that port with a hose, is connected to one side of the oil cooler. The other side of the cooler is connected to a tee in the radiator lower cold side hose.

Most all centrifugal pumps have the inlet in the center and the outlet is tangential from the diameter of the impeller. Our WP is in essence a centrifugal pump.

To be sure I'm going to connect a drill motor up the shaft of the water pump put it into a bucket of water and see which way the water flies... At that point it will be easy to work backwards.

Now my head hurts.

Dan, hows your project going?

Will be on our way to Oklahoma city on Monday to put this project to bed. Come back and may have to go to Orlando, universal, then out to Vegas to the MGM grand and then Orlando again. Isn't life on the road fun and glamorous... get to go to all these fun places to work our @$$ off.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:59 AM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Good question Don.
But, is the water pump in fact a centrifical pump with straight vanes which slings fluid out ?
Or is it a simple pump with curved vanes that draws fluid in and pumps it back through the center shaft piping ?

Now I've got a headache. Trying to recall all that info I learned before retiring. 30 years of Apparatus Operator, Pump Operations and other classes.
You guys are making me crazy.
Straight vanes.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:09 AM
Technical Moderator

Mine don't have any bleed orifice, maybe a SS thing. The heater operates in a bypass mode at all times. The housing attaches to ports in the cylinder head. In modern engines the T-stats job is to keep the coolant HOT, not cool, so yes, from the bottom makes sense.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:23 AM
Platinum Member

Maybe that orifice is on the SS because of the oil cooler ? Just speculating.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Most likely
Old 04-08-2016, 02:57 PM
Technical Moderator

That's what I thought, but doesn't Drloch have an SS w/oil cooler?

He is talking about something else.

I think we may be using the wrong terminology re the pump. Is it a volute, not an impeller?

OOH, headache time. Sorry!
Old 04-08-2016, 03:57 PM
Administrator

The SS and earlier 2006 2.4 l Ecotec 's have the water cooled oil cooler, bolted to the block above the transmission
Attached Images   
Old 04-08-2016, 09:01 PM

if thermostat is installed correctly, hot coolant comes out of the housing...........methinks this is elementary............
Old 04-09-2016, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by alshhr
if thermostat is installed correctly, hot coolant comes out of the housing...........methinks this is elementary............
Not really, the stat cover hose connection as shown in OB's picture is connected to the lower hose connection of the radiator. If hot coolant were coming out of the stat housing it wouldn't be going to the lower connection of the radiator, it would go to the upper. The upper connection of the radiator is connected to the hose connection on the cylinder head.

donbrew yes I have an SS and the engine I'm working with is an SS 2.0 turbo.