General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

CRACKED BLOCKs & Head Gasekts, what years and which motors

Old 04-09-2016, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks Don.
I do remember the TSB and the teflon tape fix. Thanks for the confirmation that it wasn't a porosity/crack issue for that.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:42 AM

2009 HHR SS 2.0 LNF, 113000 miles and my block cracked. Nothing else I could do but trade it in.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:32 AM

Cylinder Head Checked yesterday at a Performance Machine shop.

Head Good. Is this motor a LE5 or LE8 ?? The Factory Hear gasket is stamped LE5 and the casting number is "1200788" Anyone has verification for this head or block casting numbers ?

Cylinder head is NOT warped and the Machinist told me that "This cylinder head was NOT overheated, and all Valves are good" !! And that there were no indication on the head or head gasket of coolant leaks into cl head etc...

I was actually hoping that the head was warped,, Thinking a warped head would be better than a cracked block.

But the Shop checked my head for free, very nice of them, and them told me the replace the Oil Cooler. He indicated that they see many defective Oil Coolers...

So, time to remove the oil cooler and test it, and hoping its defective.

Here's the Photos
Attached Images    
Old 04-28-2016, 11:51 AM
Technical Moderator

Did you scan through the TSB thread to see if the one on the teflon tape is applicable. Don't trust your dealership to check them.

If I have time, I'll look at them.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:27 PM
Technical Moderator

LE5 is the 2.4L. LE8 is 2.2L before 2009. L61 is 2.2L FlexFuel. (Courtesy of GoOgle)

The water pump has been known to leak; both onto the ground and into the crankcase. A new pump and gasket properly torqued should fix both, I would install teflon tape on the bolts to be sure.

In the first post you said around the water pump, now you are talking oil cooler? The oil cooler O-rings are a known failure point for oil leaks. I don't recall any "defective" coolers.

Is coolant in the crankcase? Which car are you talking about? A 2009 2.2L does not have an oil cooler. Look at the label on the glove box door for the LE5, LE8, L61 code.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:29 PM

Don,

yes prev read the Teflon tape TSB fix. But isn't that just for an oil leak ???

Yes ,, i mentioned head or block crack @ water pump, somewhere

Yes, I realize the LE5 i a 2.4 L, I've go two of them. My Red Panel purchased new is a LE5 and a Solstice eng and trans with the 2.4 LE5 w Oil Cooler,, out of a wreck with 200 miles, also a LE5 2.4,,, another project

Yes, , the engine oil is a Milk Shake....

I was hoping the head was the failure. Now, History,,,The GM dealer tore this engine down without a compression test nor a coolant pressure test, nor a dye test either. The mechanic was very clear on this fact. They were figuring that the Company would Spring for a new Engine, nope.

Actually I do know someone that had a cooler fail and it took out the Turbo... Now I'm darn happy hat I din't buy a 2.0 SS

The RPO is a LE8, checked it three times. But, the Cylinder head is used on a LE5 and the 2.2 castings numbers that I found did not match this one. But, We all know lots of heads get on many engines...

I'll have to go out into the garage and recheck the timing cover number, seems I wrote it down incorrectly....

Simply looking for the failure, I'm not wanting the R&R the motor at this time, to many projects and Summer is nearly here - Time for the Street Rod events in my '56 ,, not working on this recent purchase,..

Let you know re the valve cover numbers in a few....

This has already taken up too much time and effort..

thanks.. Michael....
Old 04-28-2016, 01:59 PM

Don,

I'm out of time today, home projects to complete.

But, I'm going with it's a 2.2 VVT engine. Decal list LE8..

I'll power wash the mess the GM Dealer left and pull the water pump when I get some time , soon I hope. The suspense is ....

I'll Also check very carefully for block crack at the water pump as noted in posts. Should be much easier since the cyl head is removed.

Being a chain drive pump isn't my fav for a water pump, pump shaft seal ??

Sending you a PM

Michael
Old 04-28-2016, 02:12 PM
Technical Moderator

A 2.2L head gasket won't fit a 2.4L head. All 2.4L have VVT no LE8 have VVT, the heads are not interchangeable.

I think that the bore is different between 2.2 and 2.4; if someone put a 2.2 head on a 2.4 block or vice versy: water in oil.

There is also a problem with torquing the water pump bolts. And it is possible for the pump to leak coolant into the crankcase.

A 2009 2.2L would be a L61 VVT FlexFuel.

I don't have any way to track casting numbers or valve cover numbers.

But, I am still confused! Stop mentioning so many different cars, please. I don't know which you are talking about or exactly what the problem is, beyond coolant in the crank case of some HHR.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:33 PM
Technical Moderator

This the side exposed to oil.

BTW; there is a member trying to sell a water pump for a nice deal in the "classifieds" area.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:47 PM

Don,

Yes ,, this 2009 Panel is perplexing !!

The RPO in the Car is LE8,

The head gasket is stamped LE5

The head definitely has variable valve timing.

I'll measure the block Cylinder bore diameter tomorrow. I just fond the bore diameters.

The 2.2 l is 3.3855 - 3. 3861

The 2.4 is 3.4645

I probably should have just measured the bore diameter at the start....

Any idea when the VVT entered production on the 2.2 l ??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CRACKED BLOCKs & Head Gasekts, what years and which motors