General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Crazy Question - AWD or 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 01:14 AM

Crazy Question - AWD or 4x4?

I can't remember if this subject has been brought up before, but here it goes. I was wondering if anyone has had the idea to convert their HHR into an All Wheel Drive or 4x4 vehicle? I have always been disappointed that GM never offered the HHR in an All Wheel Drive format. I have kicked around the following idea for later on (when my HHR is paid off and I have another vehicle to drive). Finding a 4x4 vehicle with the same wheel base as the HHR (most likely a Jeep Unlimited) and swapping bodies. Does this sound plausible????
Old 01-08-2011, 07:17 AM

It would be a lot of work but anything is possible...... If it were an AWD setup the car would be better handling and more road worthy.... a 4X4 setup would end up more like a monster truck...... Cool but not "sporty"
Old 01-08-2011, 07:22 AM

The only real way to make it affordable is to slap it on a jeep or truck frame. Or weld up your own frame. Both take tools and skill to do it right.

Better off if you want a 4X4 is to just buy a Jeep and leave it alone if you don't have the time, place, skill or money to do it right.

75% of these swaps people do are messed up and never really well sorted out. But most are just for off roading and get rolled over or trash in the short term anyway.

The other issues are you would need to do some engine work too as many people forget that most AWD and 4x4 systems need more power to drive them. A larger engine would really be needed to make to drive well.

We did a 32 Ford Street rod at work and it was AWD. We used a Syclone drivetrain and ZR1 rear axle. The front drive took 150 HP to drive it. To note the cost of the car. was well over 6 figures and much of it went into the rengineering of the drive line.

The AWD did give up 0-60 times of 3 sec but it was faster in the 1/4 mile with the front drive shaft out.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
It would be a lot of work but anything is possible...... If it were an AWD setup the car would be better handling and more road worthy.... a 4X4 setup would end up more like a monster truck...... Cool but not "sporty"
Anthing is possible. With enough money and work I could turn one into a space shuttle too. I saw the English Top Gear guys to that with a Reliant Robin
Old 01-08-2011, 10:44 AM
geg

Will it be good?
Loss of dynamic features. The increase in fuel consumption.
In addition, the Jeep Unlimited has bridges and a frame. This iron is difficult to install on the HHR. If the body HHR put on the frame of the Jeep Unlimited - the center of gravity too high.
It makes sense to look for a donor among cars with monocoque body. I did not know the American market. But I think that it is not difficult. In this case, the donor should not be "auto offroad". Better-AWD, aimed "to jerk" as the Subaru.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Deceased

Besides all the engineering issues and the expense involved, do you really want to do something like this to an innocent HHR?
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2011, 01:14 AM

I dont know about all that. I do however, think our cars would look wicked lifted just enough to put some tall tires on it. Kinda like when they used to lite lift VW sedans and run larger lite offroad tires and wheels. Someone photoshop this!
Old 01-09-2011, 03:58 AM
geg

This is a yellow stuffed - a great tool to scare the cows. For other purposes, it is not suitable. Even as a tractor or ATV.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
Besides all the engineering issues and the expense involved, do you really want to do something like this to an innocent HHR?
At this point is it really an HHR?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:21 AM

It's been brought up several times but I don't think anyone has ever done it. I still like the idea of the mini Grave Digger:

Quick Reply: Crazy Question - AWD or 4x4?