General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Dead Battery...... Battery Tender?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 06:32 AM

Dead Battery...... Battery Tender?

I went to move the SS out of the garage b/c my dad was doing some wood trim work in there and low and behold the Battery was dead. I don't quite understand why I have been starting and letting the car run periodically so should the battery not charge? I know I have some low voltage systems in the car including theft deterant and radio systems as well as the Rust protection modual the dealer instaled. I thought these things had run dead protection?

I Was thinking about a Batery tender, I was thinking I would somehow mount it in the trunk permanently and plug it in when needed. ( Winter storage) Any thoughts?
Old 02-18-2009, 06:53 AM

Buy an Optima
Old 02-18-2009, 06:59 AM

I use a battery tender on my Solstice and my Harley every winter.. They work great
Old 02-18-2009, 07:01 AM

Maybe your Dad is charging his tools off your battery...
Old 02-18-2009, 07:43 AM

Mine does the same thing. I have it in storage for the winter and I have to start it and let it run for 30-45 minutes every 7 days.

This comes from GM and the dealer.... I still think there is some sort of parasitic drain on the battery..

It's a 2009, I have had it back to the dealer 3 times, everytime they say nothing is wrong... Grrrrrr.....
Old 02-18-2009, 07:59 AM

longhorn, idling the car in the garage will not charge the battery well at all. The alternator charges much better at higher RPMs than idle. Buy the battery tender since you are storing the car for an extended period.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:11 AM
Founding Member

Running a vehicle at idle is not enough to charge a battery to full capacity. The BCM will usually only command the generator to charge at 11 volts, which is a 10% commanded duty cycle. This will only put enough charge into the system to keep the accessories that are running at idle working.

You really need a charger to keep the battery at full charge during extended times of non use.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:16 AM

Battery Maintainer Wanted.

Originally Posted by longhornss
I went to move the SS out of the garage b/c my dad was doing some wood trim work in there and low and behold the Battery was dead. I don't quite understand why I have been starting and letting the car run periodically so should the battery not charge? I know I have some low voltage systems in the car including theft deterant and radio systems as well as the Rust protection modual the dealer instaled. I thought these things had run dead protection?

I Was thinking about a Batery tender, I was thinking I would somehow mount it in the trunk permanently and plug it in when needed. ( Winter storage) Any thoughts?
Finally, someone else sees the need for a battery tender or battery maintainer. I've posted on this on several occasions.

So far the responses to this thread and the owner's manual indicate that the battery will drain over time unless run long enough at higher revs. A larger capacity battery does not solve the problem.

Problem: Find a battery maintainer that can operate below freezing and preferably down to -30C.

I have run a power cord from the plug-in point at the radiator to the trunk area. Also installed a battery blanket. Now I just need a permanently mounted battery charger. Then when I plug in at -30C ,my battery will get taken care of.

So, anyone found a small current automatic battery charger with specs that allow use below freezing?
Old 02-18-2009, 11:37 AM

Mine sits 6 months a year unheated started right up last May and will probaly start right up this May.I run AC Delco batteries in my boat it sits outside all year round got 11 years out of starting battery and 9 years out of the deep cycle.

I never put a charger on them or start them during hibernation there are parked will a fully charged battery.I do not think that the battery is the problem you need to take off 1 of the battery cables and put a meter in between to check for load.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:52 PM

Bought the CTEK US3300

Originally Posted by GTOMIKE
Mine sits 6 months a year unheated started right up last May and will probaly start right up this May.I run AC Delco batteries in my boat it sits outside all year round got 11 years out of starting battery and 9 years out of the deep cycle.

I never put a charger on them or start them during hibernation there are parked will a fully charged battery.I do not think that the battery is the problem you need to take off 1 of the battery cables and put a meter in between to check for load.
Finally, I bought the CTEK US 3300 automatic battery charger - on sale at Canadian Tire for 60 CAD. It is of good quality, nicely packaged and well documented. Engineered in Sweden and made in China. (Comes with crocodile clips and O-ring connecters). Specs say it is good down to -20C. Salesman's email says it is good to -30C. The charger does get warm anyway.

Haven't installed it yet because I'm testing it on other vehicles. Intend to either permanently mount it beside the battery (4 mounting holes provided) or just attach the cord with the O-rings to the battery and plug that in as needed from above the spare wheel cover.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery...... Battery Tender?