General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Do I have remote start??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 10:53 AM

Our 2006 came new with 2 4 button fobs......
Old 01-26-2013, 12:16 PM

A Bit More Information

Originally Posted by donbrew
IF, the remote start is activated in the DIC AND the purple wire is somehow grounded (either with a factory installed hood switch or DIY)
Or, you have code AP3 listed in your glove box and you have activated remote start in the DIC a 3 button remote will work

1) press lock
2) press lock + panic
on the inside the "start" button connects the lock & the panic. the guts of the fobs are the same BTW.
New cars came with 1 4-button remote and 1 3-button remote, used cars come with whatever they come with. The fleet/rentals came with just the 3-button, or none.

This applies to pre 2009 anyway. If you do not have remote start option in the DIC, SORRY, requires a new BCM software flash.
My 2009 came with two 4-button remotes, part number 15114374.

The vehicle has the AP3 with the "REMOTE START: ON" activated in the DIC and factory hood switch. All works fine as it came from the factory.

The Lock+Panic button sequence donbrew outlines above also works with my 2009.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Donbrew, are you sure about this? I just checked ALL my FOBs (2 per vehicle) and they are ALL 4 button. All the cars were purchased new and are GM.
That's what I was told, maybe it is possible that the used car salesman lied to me?
Old 01-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

That's what I was told, maybe it is possible that the used car salesman lied to me?
Now that's funny......."......it is possible that the used car salesman lied to me".
Old 05-09-2015, 09:22 AM

I know this is an old thread that has been dead for a while, but I didn't want to start a new one since my question is about this topic.

I just got my 2006 HHR last week and it didn't come with a key fob. I am going to order once from eBay, but want to make sure I get the right one.

My question is... if I order a 4 button fob and my car doesn't have remote start, will the fob still work to unlock the doors? I am considering the 4 button because (if I read correctly) I can take the car to a dealer and have remote start activated via programming. If so, I'd like to have the proper fob at that moment. In the meantime, I want to make sure I'll be able to use the fob for unlocking the doors.

For the record, I accessed the DIC and didn't see any option to turn on/off remote start... so, I am assuming that means it is not activated on my car.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:34 AM
Technical Moderator

Yes to both.
Remote start on the fob is the same as panic + LOCK.
Look for AP3 on the glove box placard, that's RS.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:21 PM

Yes to both.
Remote start on the fob is the same as panic + LOCK.
Look for AP3 on the glove box placard, that's RS.
Thank you for the quick response!

Now that you mentioned the PANIC + LOCK I remember reading that in this thread. You'll have to forgive my brain... I had just returned home from working 12 hours with very little sleep!

I was just out in the car replacing the rear dome light and checked the glove box for a placard but found nothing. Either it is gone, or I am somehow overlooking it.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:16 PM
Technical Moderator

There is supposed to be a placard/decal on the glovebox door that includes all of the "build codes" of the vehicle. It may even be a law.

You can go to your local GM dealership Service Dept. and at least get a printout of the "build" for your VIN, they may look at you funny. I'm pretty sure that you can order a new build placard from the parts dept.

The other sure way to check for AP3 is to look for wires attached to your hood latch (not on the radiator support behind it, that's the impact sensor). I'm only typing all of this because some folks think they are looking in the DIC "personalization" menu, when they are only scrolling through the display.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:04 PM

I accessed the DIC menu by holding the 2 bottom buttons on the steering wheel for a few seconds. Upon release, the menu displays the option to choose a language. I can then scroll through and change the alert options, auto unlock options, etc.

But, no "Remote Start" option came up.

I will check for wires on the hood latch next time I am outside.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:24 PM
Technical Moderator

YEP, you read the Owners Manual. The 06 models were different. Do you have an odd looking piece of wire in one of the rear quarter windows? That may be a 2-way remote antenna, and that is a whole different kettle of fish that I have no knowledge about.

Quick Reply: Do I have remote start??