General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Do I need a locking gas cap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 02:15 PM

Do I need a locking gas cap?

I was googling around looking for any information on a locking gas cap that will fit the HHR. I came across discussions that indicated that the HHR filler neck has a screen in it that would stop someone from being able to siphon fuel.

Anyone know if this is true? I don’t want to add more keys to my collection if I don’t have to.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2008, 02:29 PM

I'm going to watch for the answer on this one, too. I was looking into getting one as several cars in our neighborhood are already being siphoned. In fact, we caught someone siphoning the tank on a vehicle in the driveway of the house behind us. I also work in an area that I don't feel good about after dark, and I work late several nights each month. As gas prices go up, gas thefts are going to go up too.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by monster5601
I was googling around looking for any information on a locking gas cap that will fit the HHR. I came across discussions that indicated that the HHR filler neck has a screen in it that would stop someone from being able to siphon fuel.

Anyone know if this is true? I don’t want to add more keys to my collection if I don’t have to.

Thanks
Yes it is true in most of your newer vehicles! I think some models started doing this as early as 1996. That won't stop a thief though, they can poke/drill a hole in the tank, or remove the filler neck to get past the roller ball. But the big money is your catalytic convertor for thiefs.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:38 PM

Thanks, ChevyMgr. You rock!

There's a lot on the news around here about catalyst thefts. A couple of weeks ago, more than a dozen cars were hit in a one hour period in a mall parking lot north of Nashville. Scary.

I was just more concerned about the little white-trash teenager that's making the cars in our neighborhood his own personal filling stations. I don't think he's sophisticated enough to do much more than siphon.

I'm putting a motion-activated flood light over that part of my driveway to help deter him from coming up next to the house.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:49 PM

I saw a report on the news Friday that showed thieves just poking a hole in the bottom of the tanks and catching the gas in a pan. Outrageous, in the old days you had to taste the gas if you wanted to steal it!
Old 05-05-2008, 03:02 PM

Ouch, I'd rather them siphon than poking a hole, replacing a gas tank has gotta be expensive.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by catzcradle
Ouch, I'd rather them siphon than poking a hole, replacing a gas tank has gotta be expensive.
Agreed!

I think about all those Fords that have the gas tank visible right under the rear bumper/fascia. So easy to tap into. I think Ford did that more often than any other manufacturer.

Of course, will have to crawl under my HHR now to see where my tank is!
Old 05-05-2008, 03:07 PM

After my sister found someone had tried to jimmy open her Tahoe's gas cap (I live in a "challenging" area of OC!), I think it is time for one as well!

I'm told these are good choice gas cap by CST:
CST 5504 at AutoZone
CST 55040 at Wal Mart

(thanks ivtech!)
Old 05-05-2008, 03:13 PM

Oh Lordy I hope I never catch someone doing that to my ride.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:15 PM

About 17 years ago someone put sugar in one of our cars' gas tank.

Quick Reply: Do I need a locking gas cap?