General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

does my 2011 hhr have a computer telematrics on board

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 11:58 AM

does my 2011 hhr have a computer telematrics on board

my provincial government has just informed us ontario drivers that they are waiving the $30 fee for clean air inspections and that if your vehicle is equipped with aa onboard telematics computer system which they say every1 in 4 cars mfg today have. that i will no longer need to go to my licensed emission station and do the test,and that with the government phone app i send it directly to them,which will intern allow me to purchase my licence plate if it passed.amazing that they droppped the fee in lieu of the new carbon fee coming jan 1/17 raising the cost of gas 05 cents a litre. they givith in one hand and tax on the other hand. you americans are fortunate to elect a new government that does not believe in carbon tax.it will not make canada competive in this market and i expect to see a lot of jobs go south of the border,so if my vehicle has this system on board will the folks in the know on this forum please comment,if this will work for me.
merry xmas &season greetings to all
regards&later KEWATIN
Old 12-14-2016, 12:30 PM
Technical Moderator

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...cle-telematics

If I was paranoid, I would think "Big Brother".
Old 12-14-2016, 03:00 PM

re telematrics

donbrew ,thanks for the link.it would appear in order forto use the system my provincial government is advacating we would need onstar if i read he article correct, i would assume the bulk of users in ontario don;t have access to onstar,so i will be curious as to how they plan to impliment this program,normally you go to a licensed clean air garage for the test and if all is well you can proceed to get your vehicle plates&permit,.if it doesn;t pass you could spend small amounts of money to large ammounts dpending on where it failed the test.currently i have seen vehicles with bad tire tread vehicles fail before they even got on the ramp for the test costing a futher $30 to redo the test.so it looks like i will still have to go to the clean air test center,but will not be required to pay the $30 fee, but considering the new carbon tax of 05 cents a litre on gas they will stillmake even more money than with the clean air fee. stay tuned as more results are supposed to be coming down the pike.
regards&later KEWATIN
Old 12-14-2016, 03:05 PM
Administrator

I remember George Orwell's book as a good read!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four
Old 12-14-2016, 03:42 PM

Orwell only missed by 30 some odd years....
Old 12-14-2016, 03:54 PM
Administrator

But at least our cars could tell us the door was a jar, in 1984
Old 12-14-2016, 04:54 PM
Technical Moderator

In the US the smog test is usually a OBDII test, they plug the code reader in and run a test. Then they electronically communicate the result to the DMV.

OnStar is tied into the OBDII system and can communicate the readings via telephone signal. I think what they are asking for is access to your "OnStar/whatever else it may be called" system.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:12 PM

Perhaps Snapshot by Progressive Insurance or something similar could do the trick.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:54 PM

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-in-april.html is the scheme you're mentioning?
As donbrew says, the OBD system is the judge as to whether you're in compliance, and getting that information to the government is the key to avoiding going to the test station. Either that'll be via OnStar, or they possibly may allow you to use some connection to the OBD port, like the ELM327 Bluetooth dongles that an app on your phone would use - but they may not be allowing that since it'd probably be easy to spoof results with just a pc that has your VIN and can generate the messages...
You do have OnStar, but it probably needs to be active. Is that even possible in Ontario now? I think that the 2G wireless system is defunct there. https://www.onstar.com/ca/en/2gcdma.html
Old 12-14-2016, 08:02 PM
Administrator

We still have Onstar but the 2011 version might not be put from 2G

My last E test was just the OBD II port test, test ramp and roller test is for the older pre OBD II cars and trucks back to 1988, also my friends 1978 Indy pace car Corvette failed his test because he took the air system and the cat con, now he has to replace them with factory equipment

Quick Reply: does my 2011 hhr have a computer telematrics on board