General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Does this sound reasonable?

Old 09-20-2016, 10:34 AM

Does this sound reasonable?

Hello.

This is my first time posting and yes I am the typical stereotype of a female that virtually knows nothing about cars.

I'll start at the beginning my car is a 2008 HHR. The coolant temperature would go -------- I added coolant but it is happening every two weeks. I also thought that my brakes needed replacing. Took car to mechanic that was recommended.

He said my coolant plastic resovoir was unattached and needed reattactment. My tired are bald in front and dry rotted in the back. A control arm in the front is broken and apparently both rear springs are shot.

He wants $1375 to fix all of it. I have no idea if I'm getting screwed. His estimated listed only a few items broken down. Quoted me $144 per tire.

Can anyone tell me if this sounds fair? I don't want to be ripped off.

Thanks
CJ
Old 09-20-2016, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

The temperature display going "----" - that is typically caused by the thermostat jamming open (a few of us have had the same problem) - because it is jammed open, the engine does not get up to temperature fast enough, and sometimes turns on the Engine Check light. Replacing the thermostat resolves that issue - An ACDELCO thermostat is recommended as a replacement, even tho' they are a little pricey (maybe $30) - and replacing it takes about 45 mins to 1 hour (including replacing the coolant) - so in the neighbourhood of $100-$150, parts and labor.

Control arm broken - not sure what you mean by broken, as the vehicle can't be driven if it is broken. Anyways, an aftermarket lower control arm can be picked up at most auto parts stores for $110-$120 - and they take about 30-45 mins to install. Figure on $200 parts and labor.

Rear springs - if they really are shot (you didn't mention the mileage on the car - they should last the life of the car) - they are super easy to swap out, so I'm guessing $40 each spring, and 1 hour labor for the whole job. So somewhere in the area of $150-$170.

Tires - prices vary all over the map for tire prices depending on what tire is purchased - you can buy a $70 tire and you can buy a $300 tire - so it's impossible to tell if that $144/tire is a good deal - but it sounds reasonable on the surface.

All that comes out to $820 or so - but you mention you thought your brakes need replacing - that kind of work can get pricey - and not sure if that was included in his estimate. If it was, please update if it included just brake pads or pads and rotors on the front brakes, and if it included the rear brakes as well.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:59 AM

Have him show you everything he says is broken.

Things like control arm and springs are one piece so easy to see if broken. Search google for an idea of what they look like. Agreed you wouldn't be driving with a broken front control arm and the rear might be sitting low and might be making knocking noises if springs are broken.

Dry rotted tires usually show cracks and bald means if you can see lincoln's head(penny) when inserting in the tread it's time to replace. And tire prices do vary widely, get the info on the tires he suggested and google them and you will know if his price is fair.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:30 PM

CJ,

Are you sure he didn't say rear shocks ?? not springs.

If it is springs I would ask to have him show you why they need replacing and then run the answer by us here. It's possible, but I would question that call.

I would Pause here until you get better clarification on all the issues.

Because of your location I would insist on a Good "All Season tire".
Look on the Tire and Wheel Forum here for some tire info. Make sure his price includes everything needed including new valve stems and all 4 wheel balancing .. Total amount out the door.

I just installed 4 Cooper CS5 All seasons on one of my HHR's and like them. They give good long mileage and excellent snow performance for an all season tire. Not noisy and they run well.
Total cost $465 including a 4 tire Road Force balance.

I'm also with Whopper on the control arm call. That and the spring call would make me a little nervous about his honesty and credibility.

Silverfox
Old 09-20-2016, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, CJ , all great suggests above! If the guy couldn't get the thermostat issue you might want to move on to a different mechanic!
Old 09-20-2016, 06:19 PM

to the forums, CJ! All good advice above, I would also add to buy tires from a tire store, a mechanic is probably going to charge more. Big Brand, Discount Tire, even try your local tire shop, sometimes they can give you a great deal to get your future business. You can even look for coupons. Make sure they use a torque wrench and not just rattle the wheels on with an air impact wrench(which can damage your disc brake rotors).
Old 09-20-2016, 06:29 PM

Thank you

I appreciate all the responses. 1st the car has 117, 564 miles on it. The control arm and ball joint he said was broken. He showed me under the car, I honestly didn't know what I was looking at. The springs he had me reach up and touch the coil. He said that they were broken. They were not easy to move, didn't budge. I just am unsure.

He charged me $44 for the estimate but said if I came back in 30 days he'd give me credit off my bill. The tires are 17 inches. As for coolant he said the plastic resvoir is loose need to be clamped in place and that is whats causing my --- never said thermostat

Ok where are the shocks in relation to the springs? He had me feel to the bottom of the coil part in the back I onloy could feel the bottom of the spring. I apologize I am car illiterate.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:05 AM
Platinum Member

Are you currently driving your car? If so, run away from the scam artist as if your control arm and ball joint are broken as you say, the car would not be drivable - you would not be able to steer it, and that one corner would be dragging on the ground.

Since it looks like you are needing tires anyways, take RJ RS SS 350's advice and go to one of the tire shops he mentioned - have them check the tires, have them replace the tires if necessary, and also have them do a safety check (specifically the lower control arms/ball joints/and rear springs). Have them check the coolant bottle, but it is most likely the thermostat that needs replacing along with the coolant.

Let us know how that turns out - otherwise there isn't much more advice we can give you. Best of luck.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:01 AM
Platinum Member

Here's a How-To link about replacing shocks. It has some good pictures that show the shocks and the springs.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...ock-how-29504/
Old 09-21-2016, 08:01 AM
Administrator

If the rear spring or springs are broken, the back end would sag

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does this sound reasonable?