General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Does synthetic oil improve MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:24 AM

Does synthetic oil improve MPG?

Howdy from beautfiul Phoenix, America all -

Just a quick question/observation: Two weeks ago, I took the plunge and tried synthetic oil in my 2006 2LT for the first time. The local carwash place, which I've always had good luck with and occassionally change my HHR's oil at, was promoting the use of synthetic vs. regular, and for an extra $15, I got the synthetic just to try it out. While I don't know the fine details of the synthetic I ended up getting, I had done some research and read the posts here to review others' experiences. As such, I took the plunge and got synthetic. Here's the interesting part (sorry if I've bored you so far) - I've noticed a decent improvement in MPG since making the change. Previously, I averaged between 26-27 MPG during my daily commute, which is between North Phoenix into the heart of downtown Phoenix; about 20 miles each way. Since the introduction of synthetic into my HHR, I've been averaging mid-29's in MPG - and this includes using the air conditioner during those two weeks, as we've been hitting upper 80's and lower 90's during that same time. I should also note that I also had the cabin (glove compartment) air filter at the same time I had the oil changed.

Anyone else experience this, or is it simply my imagination? I did some thread searches, but didn't find anything specific to this type of change in MPG.

Thanks for you input -
Old 04-23-2008, 09:31 AM

Yes Ive heard it mentioned many times too

I am about to do the very same thing. Mine is brand new and only has 2300 miles on it so far since December 07. My mileage is piss poor and Im told its a result of the short distance driving I do on a daily basis.

My 1st oil change should be coming up soon and Im going with a full synthetic. I also just rec'd a K&N drop in air filter replacement. It is my hopes to get the MPG up.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:37 PM

I have already done what hiphot did and it made no difference on my mpg.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:35 PM

dont they suggest you wait until the car is broke in before using syn. oil?
Old 04-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

Oh, oh, here we go again !!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 10:04 PM

Synthetic (mobile 1 5W30 with K&N filter) in mine and maybe a 1mpg difference. I guess 1mpg is good these days and with these little cars doing no where near what the Sticker on the window says you'll need all you can get... LOL
Old 04-25-2008, 09:30 AM

Going on the third week of driving on synthetic now, and I'm still averaging 29.1 MPG, certainly an improvement over my previous average of 26.7 MPG. At almost 2 1/2 MPG improvement, it certainly is better at today's gas prices. This info just adds to support the view of those of us who traded in our previous vehicles for a vehicle with improved MPG.

BTW, regular unleaded here in Phoenix is around $3.35, so this improved MPG definitely helps.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:52 AM

I did my first oil change at 700 miles. Changed to Mobil 1 5w30 Full Synthetic. We've run full synthetic in motorcycles for years and over the long haul I'm convinced that there is less wear on the internal parts. We work on Harley's that have engine, transmission and primary oil. Each section has magnetic plugs and there is a noticeable difference in the amount of metal shavings in engines that have been ran with full synthetic. That's in no way a scientific study just my opinion, it has convinced me enough to run it in all my vehicles. As for more MPG, probably not. Regular oil and air filter changes would probably help more that the type oil used.

And BTW the oil filter is so easy to change I'll probably change a filter in between oil changes!

Anyone changed the auto transmission to full synthetic?
Old 04-25-2008, 09:59 AM

We're at 3.89 / 3.92 / 4.06 here now

I am about to install a freakin sail on this thing to get some better mileage. Again from what everyone tells me, it's the 4-6 miles a day I drive in town thats killin' mine. I went on a long freeway trip last night and reset the DIC. I averaged close to 30mpg and at 1/2 tank im at 200 miles. Still, the lil girl's gettin her some syntho at her 1st change.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:02 AM

has any one checked into the warranty and what effects it might or might not have.....just curious.

i get maybe 20 mph in town with combo driving freeway driving was only 28.

Quick Reply: Does synthetic oil improve MPG?