General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Engine r&r procedure for rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 06:14 PM

Engine r&r procedure for rebuild

I've searched in most of the usual places but for some reason just cannot seem to find any information on the reccommended steps for the engine removal on my 08 2.2L AT HHR.

I find it hard to believe it is not documented anywhere.

Any ideas or pointers?

Thanks
Old 11-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

IIRC, there is 1 in the How To section..

Otherwise not too many engine changes being made, that are posted here.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:37 PM

I hope that doesn't mean these cars are considered 'disposable'!

I'm an old timer, I plan on pulling and rebuilding the bottom end of this engine as it is just too expensive to have the dealership do it and charge more than the car is worth.

A tad ticked at GM shipping cars out with oil pressure indicator lights that only go on when the key is turned on and not when needed with low oil pressure! Almost as ticked as I am with the local oil change shop only putting in 1 quart of oil with an oil change, net result.... one spun and toasted bearing. OH well, back to the search for the r&r sequence.

Angelo
Old 11-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Well, if the local oil change shop killed your engine, why aren't they doing the repair or paying to have it fixed?

Plus, if it wiped out the crank bearings, you can just about figure on more damage. Especially in the valvetrain area. Timing chain and tensioners also.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Well, if the local oil change shop killed your engine, why aren't they doing the repair or paying to have it fixed?

Plus, if it wiped out the crank bearings, you can just about figure on more damage. Especially in the valvetrain area. Timing chain and tensioners also.
X 2, & if You are gonna rebuild or replace the engine yourself, why are ya having a quik-lube jockey do your oil change ?

If that wasn't the case, engine would probably have been covered by the 5 year/ 100K Powertrain warranty..

hhr is the easiest vehicle to do oil changes on..
Old 12-03-2012, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge

Once you leave a repair facility, it is an uphill battle for one to get the shop to admit fault. Shops main objection would be: How can the shop or the owner prove that the car was not driven nearby and oil drained? Have to really catch it when pulling out. Wish the car had a pressure guage and not an idiot light that did not work correctly...

Yup, plan on going thru the whole engine.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
X 2, & if You are gonna rebuild or replace the engine yourself, why are ya having a quik-lube jockey do your oil change ?

If that wasn't the case, engine would probably have been covered by the 5 year/ 100K Powertrain warranty..

hhr is the easiest vehicle to do oil changes on..

Fair question, First, time is valuable to me. I can have a shop/garage/quick lube "jockey" do this service a lot faster and cleaner, with all materials on hand in one trip, checking all fluid levels, tire pressures, antifreeze and battery condition at just a few bucks more than it would cost for me to do it myself, AND not have to bother to recycle the old oil. On the whole, the oil change industry is stable without much problems like I just experienced.

I have just over 105k on the engine.. no warranty regardless

As an aside, I stopped wrenching on customers vehicles when I sold my shop a few years back. I now build and restore cars as a hobby. I HATE doing repair work on my daily drivers or my present companies service vehicles. I have 2 cars being restored and working on now which takes most of my spare time, should only have one in progress but I couldn't help myself and tore into the other. sigh

Angelo
Old 12-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

angelobi....

Your posts do NOT make sense.

You are mad at GM for putting an idiot light in a car BUT you are not mad a a "jiffy lube" place for doing the oil change and only installing 1 quart of oil. Why are they not responsible for the engine rebuild....they made the mistake? There are 100's of instances of "jiffy lube" screw-ups on the internet. And that doesn't even consider the lawsuits they lost to various state attorney generals.

Just happened to a friend recently. Got a new Ford pick-up out of the deal.

At least, that is the way I interpret your posts.

Last edited by Snoopy; 12-03-2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: wrong their, they're, there
Old 12-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quack, quack, quack !!!
Old 12-16-2012, 12:26 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Quack, quack, quack !!!
X 2 Snoopy......

Quick Reply: Engine r&r procedure for rebuild