General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

EPS whining noise?????

Old 06-21-2014, 09:15 PM

EPS whining noise?????

My power steering went out. I took it to the Chevy Service Center and had them look at it. They told me it was the power steering motor. I decided to do it myself. I bought a new motor from them. They told me Chevy no longer makes brand new ones and I would have to get a refurbished one. It was simple to put on and the power steering seems to be working. The problem I am having now is a whining, or squeaking noise that the car makes every time I turn the wheel. This can be both while driving and sitting in park turning the wheel. Do you think they gave me a bad Power Steering Motor? It hasn't kicked off yet and seems to be working. Is it possible I put something back together wrong? I need help. I cannot stand the noise. Thanks.

Last edited by ksuemalee; 06-21-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Well. Whopper is one of this sites moderators and I'm sure he closed the other thread for a good reason.
Also, I believe he did advise that you should take the EPS motor back to the dealer for a replacement. I would have to agree with him on that.

If it wasn't making the noise before, I would guess that the new motor is defective. Wouldn't think it was a installation error because it's a simple job with not much chance of messing it up.

You are aware of the recall pertaining to the EPS motors and the lifetime warranty on the motor itself ? If not, you can read up on it under this sites RECALL section.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:57 PM

Thank you for your help. Whopper did end up sending me a private message and explaining. I will probably take it back on Monday.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

arghhhhh............ closing this thread as a duplicate (doesn't anyone read???) the original one is open again. Please use the original thread for an update on the status once you get it all sorted out. Hopefully the dealer will stand behind it as they should as per GM.