General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Factory Maintenance Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 10:35 AM

My dealership also told me to follow the manual. They seem to be good guys at McGee in Goderich (can I say their name?). Anyway, mine is coming up on 5000 km and I will get the oil changed at that time. It is early, but anyone who has rebuilt a motor will know the amount of metal that comes out of an engine on the first couple of oil changes. I will err on the side of caution with my baby.

Jim
Old 09-04-2007, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by JimDaddyo
Anyway, mine is coming up on 5000 km and I will get the oil changed at that time. It is early, but anyone who has rebuilt a motor will know the amount of metal that comes out of an engine on the first couple of oil changes. I will err on the side of caution with my baby.
Yep, the first couple of changes are critical.

I changed out the factory fill at just under 5,000 kms. Ran the second run of dino 8,000 kms to let the engine finish it's break-in, and then switched to synthetic. Will likely have about 13,000 kms or so on the synthetic when I change it out next month for the next batch of synthetic to get me through the winter.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:13 PM

Had a buddy that rebuilt his '71 VW engine. They do not have a filter, but a screen instead. I thought he was going to have a heart attack when he did the first oil change. There was enough metal particles to almost fill the palm of your hand. I had a good laugh at his expense.

Jim
Old 09-04-2007, 04:47 PM

Sorry, I'm forgot to say it was the Factory Maintenance Schedule given to me by the dealer. I'll check the owner's manual and follow it instead.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Had a buddy that rebuilt his '71 VW engine. They do not have a filter, but a screen instead. I thought he was going to have a heart attack when he did the first oil change. There was enough metal particles to almost fill the palm of your hand. I had a good laugh at his expense.

Jim
If that was the old "air cooled" engine, it probably would have run for another 100,000 miles with the shavings in the crankcase. Man those engines could take punishment.

For example, I was with a group of sand buggies at the Michigan Sand Dunes, on Lake Michigan, recently. One of the cars lost it's oil filler cap and ran all day without notice until about noon the next day (found out later that someone from outside our group noticed it missing the first day.....and tried to catch us but couldn"t). The owner taped it closed and ran the rest of the day. Several of the group broke down and he was the one who towed them back to the lot.
Late Sunday we pulled the pan.....figured there was a good handful of sand. The engine will be rebuilt for next season, THOUGH.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
If that was the old "air cooled" engine, it probably would have run for another 100,000 miles with the shavings in the crankcase. Man those engines could take punishment.

This is the exact reason I love the air cooled VW engines. Run forever and easy enough to rebuild anyone can do it.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:51 AM

If you love air cooled VW's, you must own the Muir book, How to keep your VW alive forever. Some humourous insites in there too.

Jim
Old 09-05-2007, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
Sorry, I'm forgot to say it was the Factory Maintenance Schedule given to me by the dealer. I'll check the owner's manual and follow it instead.
Then that is the dealer maintenance schedule designed to remove money from your wallet.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:49 PM

If you love air cooled VW's, you must own the Muir book, How to keep your VW alive forever. Some humourous insites in there too.

Jim
Yes I do, with about 50 other VW books. It's to bad he passed and his humor in the books is all we have left. I've even thought about buying the revised edition just because it has new jokes in it.

Speaking of books, when are they going to release a HHR manual like Haynes or Bently?
Old 09-05-2007, 10:39 PM

I follow the maintenance schedule in the owners manual, and so does the dealership I take my car to. You can also keep track of your maintenance on the GM Owners Link as well find the maintenance schedule.

https://www.mygmlink.com/main/US/en/...me?cmp=chevyhp

Quick Reply: Factory Maintenance Schedule