General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Front Sunroof Drains

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 09:35 PM

Front Sunroof Drains

I have a recurring water leak which most recently happened on the passenger side front. I have the butyl patch done and think i have the problem isolated to the front passenger side sunroof drain. If I put water down the drains, the driver side drains way more rapidly. I have run weed trimmer line down both sides, but I can't seem to get the trimmer line to exit out to the fender area due to the rubber. Also, because of the drain location, it is next to impossible to insert the trimmer line starting from the fender. Couple of questions:

1) How is the lower part of the drain tube connected to the fender? Does it just push on?

2) How hard is it to remove the entire door for unobstructed access to the drain exit?

3) Any other suggestions? Don't want to remove the entire dash (top and bottom) but may need to.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 01-09-2017, 09:46 PM
Technical Moderator

I think there is a 90 hard plastic elbow.

You might try air.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:46 AM

I use weed whacker line. it can be finicky and somewhat annoying but you can snake the line in through the door drain up all the way to the sunroof and kinda of "push and pull" the line through while once and a while pouring water in from the top. When clean, you should be able to pour water into the drain tube from the top and it should flow like a steady stream out of the door exit. Of course have the sunroof open or at least partially open while doing so :P
Old 01-10-2017, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by aradmahogany
I use weed whacker line. it can be finicky and somewhat annoying but you can snake the line in through the door drain up all the way to the sunroof and kinda of "push and pull" the line through while once and a while pouring water in from the top. When clean, you should be able to pour water into the drain tube from the top and it should flow like a steady stream out of the door exit. Of course have the sunroof open or at least partially open while doing so :P

I took another stab at it last night and that is exactly what I did. The drain is now functioning much better although I never did see a source of the restriction.

Thanks all.

Mark
Old 01-10-2017, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Sometimes dirt , sometimes spiders, but it's flowing now!
Old 01-10-2017, 11:43 PM

I had the same problem!
​​​​​​​
The way I fixed mine was by using an air compressor and air spray nozzle. I wrapped the nozzle tip with foam black tape and created a perfect seal. I would spray air and black dirt and water would come out, but it still had a problem. So instead of continuous air, I did charged bursts while dumping a little water in each time, that way the water would get clogged up where there was debris and then the air pressure would make it unclog. During this time chunks flew out like a BB gun. And now it's free and clear and I haven't had a problem since.

I tried the wire method first but it never seemed to go through and I didn't want to risk puncturing something in the line.

Its been over a year now and I can dump a gallon of water in that whole and it flies right out the door seal. :)